The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Messenger Clerk classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
The Messenger Clerk performs, under immediate supervision, work of routine difficulty in the collection and delivery of documents and materials to City departments and locations throughout the City. Performs routine clerical tasks as required.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
· Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
· Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
· Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
· Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
· Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Education: No Minimum Education Requirement.
Experience: No Minimum Experience Requirement.
Licenses/Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response:
- Describe your experience with MS Office suite (Excel, Outlook, Word).
- Please describe your work style and the techniques you use to manage your responsibilities.
- Briefly highlight key points of your experience that has prepared you for this position.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Kim Jackson at mailto:email@example.com or Cristin Reak-Zeljak at firstname.lastname@example.org.