The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Recreation Program Specialist classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
PRNS is currently recruiting to fill three (3) Recreation Program Specialist vacancies in its Recreation and Neighborhood Services (RNS) Division. Reporting to the Recreation Supervisor, this position is responsible for developing a variety of recreation activities and community service programs. The position requires recreation programming experience and supervision of a team of recreation staff responsible for delivering programs and services that meet the needs of a population located within a given community center area or citywide.
NOTE: Some positions may require working early mornings, late evenings, and/or weekends.
PRNS provides a variety of recreation programs for children, youth and adults, including recreation classes in diverse areas such as dance, music health and fitness, gymnastics, theater arts, and more. Typical duties for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develops and implements recreational programming for their assigned community center.
- Researches market trends for recreational activities increasing in popularity in order to implement them at their given centers.
- Establishes recreation programs, including negotiating, and contracting with instructors and other service providers, setting class fees and charges, acquiring adequate facilities and evaluating programs and classes.
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts special recreation events, trips, visits, programs, and social clubs for children and youth, seniors, and/or special needs populations.
- Provides information and referrals to the community regarding programs available, including developing and disseminating publicity through all forms of media.
- Interacts with citizens, community groups, private organizations and/or agencies, and other public and/or government agencies to identify and determine the leisure and human service needs of the population being served.
- Participates in the preparation and implementation of the budget for their assigned area. Secures supplies and equipment for programs.
- Recruits, supervises, trains, and evaluates part-time staff and volunteers.
- Maintains financial records of fees collected; prepares reports, proposals, and various letters and memos. Conducts registrations as needed.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Education and Experience: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Recreation and Leisure Services or closely related field AND one (1) year (equivalent to 2080 hours) of full-time recreation leadership or programming experience.
Acceptable Substitution: Additional years of increasingly responsible recreation leadership or programming experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis for up to two (2) years. There will be no substitute for required one (1) year (equivalent to 2080 hours) of full-time recreation leadership or programming experience.
2. Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.):
- A valid First Aid certificate is required and must be maintained. Must provide proof of a valid certificate or will need to obtain a certificate within one (1) year of hire.
- A valid CPR certificate is required and must be maintained. Must provide proof of a valid certificate or will need to obtain a certificate within six (6) months of hire.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will
not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
(Incumbents may be required to have different combinations of the listed qualifications, or more specific job-related qualifications depending on the position.)
Basic Competencies (needed at entry into the job in order to perform the essential duties)
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Basic competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Fiscal Management - Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
Planning – Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
Supervision - Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
Additional Competencies and/or Desirable Qualifications
(Competencies, knowledge, skills and abilities that are more position specific and/or likely to contribute to more successful job performance.)
- Possession of a valid State of California Class A or B driver’s license with applicable endorsements is highly desirable.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job-Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process may consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit including spaces for each text response. You MUST answer all job-specific questions to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration:
- If you indicated an answer that included coursework in Recreation and Leisure studies or closely related field in the above questions, please describe your coursework including name of accredited college/university and listing the number of semester or quarter units completed.
- Describe your full-time recreation leadership or programming experience. At the top of your response identify the number of years, followed by a brief description of your experience, including name of employer, length of employment and average hours worked per week.
- Describe a time when you planned, coordinated and/or conducted a recreation program. What was the program objective? What was your specific contribution to the outcome?
- Describe a time when you were part of an effective team. What was your role and what were the factors that made the team effective?
- Do you have work experience developing and implementing a program budget? Please explain your role. What tools did you utilize to monitor expenses and stay within budget?
For questions regarding the selection or hiring process, contact Nandita Modak via e-mail at email@example.com