Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third-party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Senior Accountant classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
$90,729.60 - $110,552.00 Annually
The Community Energy Department is seeking to fill one (1) Senior Accountant position in the Budget and Financial Management Division. This position reports to the Division Manager and will work closely with the City’s Finance Department and the City Manager’s Budget Office. Under general supervision, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for developing and maintaining fiscal operations for the department, as well as day-to-day management of the fiscal team. Other responsibilities include monitoring the needs of the accounting function in the department and providing recommendations to ensure the department’s accounting expertise remains in line with financial reporting demands and regulatory requirements. Typical duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the accounting and financial reporting requirements of San Jose Clean Energy (SJCE);
- Assuring compliance with a variety of regulations and fiscal procedures related to the flow of SJCE funds;
- Preparing periodic financial statements, including SJCE’s annual financial statements, notes to the financial statements and auditor lead sheets;
- In coordination with the City’s internal and external auditors, developing Agreed Upon Procedures for the SJCE program and respond to annual audits of those procedures;
- Working closely with the City’s Finance Department, maintain compliance with the requirements of the City’s General Ledger and ensuring that financial statements/reports are compliant with professional accounting standards and applicable rules and regulations;
- Implementing any new Generally Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements related to Clean Energy;
- Overseeing bank reconciliations and ensuring program transactions are properly documented and accounted for;
- Supporting year-end financial audits on behalf of SJCE, including demonstrating compliance with financial policies, procedures and other relevant information to internal and external auditors;
- Assisting in the preparation of a variety of departmental and City financial reports, including the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report as well as other applicable regulatory reports.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures, policies, and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Computer Skills – Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Fiscal Management – Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
- Planning – Acts to align own unit’s goals with the strategic direction of the organization; defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Leadership – Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational support and direction.
Education: Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field, including at least 18 semester units in accounting subjects.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience at the working level of a professional accountant.
Licenses or Certificates: Valid California Driver’s License may be required.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the application, cover letter and resume, and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
Do you have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Business Administration, or another closely related field, including at least 18 semester units in accounting subjects? If yes, please provide the name of the college or university and the field in which you obtained your degree. You may also include any additional degrees or applicable certifications that you have achieved.
What is your proficiency level (Beginner, Intermediate, Expert) with the City of San José’s Financial Management System (FMS) or any other financial management system? Describe your experience with any financial management systems that you have used and indicate your proficiency level as either: “Expert”, “Intermediate”, or “Beginner”. In your response, please describe how you have used a financial management system to support fiscal management and/or accounting functions.
Describe your experience in performing operational or financial audits. Include the scope and your role in performing operational or financial audits.
Please describe your level of expertise working with common computer applications including but not limited to MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access and MS Excel. Please include details on how you have used the applications.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Michelle Saechao at Michelle.Saechao@sanjoseca.gov