The City of San José is recruiting for a Senior Applications Developer (C# and .Net) (Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department (ITD). The purpose of the position is to support ITD's vision of developing an efficient IT applications portfolio that meets the process automation and records management needs of both internal and external stakeholders.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Leading the delivery of projects and solutions to completion in a team environment while demonstrating a consultative personality, leadership mindset, and collaborative communication style.
- Leveraging an understanding of Business Relationship Management, Business Process Automation (BPA)/Management, IT Service Management, Enterprise Content Management, Records Management, Web Content Management, Intranet, and Collaboration concepts to build high quality internal and external solutions for customers.
- Assisting with software upgrades, testing, and resolving production support problems in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Liaising with software suppliers on the development of system enhancements to overcome known problems or further fulfill user requirements.
- Developing, testing, and preparing support documentation of new releases for custom applications and providing support for .NET 4.7 or higher version of framework-based web applications to address city needs.
- Developing reports using Crystal Reports or SQL Server 2019 Reporting services.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of customers and technology staff.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidates will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of following Application Development and/or BPA knowledge and experience:
- Experience with server maintenance, .NET, SQL Server, Windows Server, and Microsoft Architecture.
- Strong programming skills and technical experience to design and develop web application solutions utilizing Microsoft .NET platform, to ensure application deployment and support of service delivery at an enterprise level.
- 5-7 years of experience with designing and developing C# and .NET applications / platform and .NET Framework’s newest features.
- Knowledge of a variety of programming concepts, coding practices, and troubleshooting procedures is required, including system support, system maintenance and assisting with software implementation and upgrades.
- Strong understanding of the structure and logic of Object-Oriented programming.
- Advanced knowledge to design, develop and automate custom solutions to tailor solutions to enterprise process needs.
- Experience with gathering and documenting business requirements. Familiar with techniques which help in modelling and understanding business and its operations.
- Background in business process automation or business application development with a strong understanding of collaboration, integrations and business processes.
- Working knowledge of Crystal Reports and/or SQL Reporting Services reports.
- Experience with BPA tools, workflows, and solution builds is desirable.
- Technical skills to build and automate solutions to support Business Processes is desirable.
- Knowledge of project methodologies (Waterfall, Agile) is desirable.
- Working knowledge of content migration tools such as SharePoint, AvePoint, Sharegate is a desirable.
- Proficiency of C# and .NET along with a familiarity of coding environment in Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 is highly desirable.
- SharePoint Server experience is highly desirable.
- 5 years of knowledge of API programming is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of change management and IT Service Management is highly desirable.
Planning – Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst (ESTA) classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field.
Experience: Four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
- Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
- Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Please select the areas of technical competency where you have comprehensive enterprise level experience with designing, developing, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting: (Check all that apply)
- .NET 4.7 and/or higher framework
- Visual Studio development tools & services
- C# programming
- Microsoft .Net programming
- API programming
- Crystal Reporting
- PowerBI Reporting
- Windows PowerShell
- Business Process Automation (BPA)
- Business Process Modeling, Analysis, Design
- None of the above
2. From the technology you selected in the previous question, please describe a use-case that illustrates your hands-on experience with two or more of the technologies.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. In addition, please attach your resume as part of the application process. If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact IT Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.