The Finance Department is seeking a Senior Analyst within the Utility Billing section of the Revenue Management Division. The Senior Analyst reports to the Program Manager and is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely utility billing for nearly $400 million annually in services (garbage, sewer, and water).
Responsibilities for the position may include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as subject matter expert of the utility billing system (Customer Information System), and all related processes (from bill calculation through bill print/mailing;
- Ensure billing procedures conform with City’s Municipal Code, state regulations, and industry best practices;
- Ensure methods and procedures of tasks performed by the utility billing staff are documented in a concise and easy to understand format;
- Supervise utility billing staff by providing management guidance with emphasis on efficiency, adherence to City policy and providing excellent customer service;
- Provide thoughtful recommendations for continuous process improvements;
- Mentor, provide guidance, recommend training of individual staff members and promote a positive work environment;
- Resolve and de-escalate all utility customer billing issues;
- Reconcile revenue and accounts receivable by utility fund;
- Oversee collections and lien processes for delinquent utility accounts;
- Communicate across all levels of management, including verbal and written memorandums and reports to implement the Revenue Management workplan.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple Senior Analyst positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Senior Analyst Salary Range: $90,729.60-110,552.00. The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Senior Analyst classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
Education and Experience: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of budget, finance, grant administration, organizational analysis, general administration, human resources, or related field in general analytical work.
Acceptable Substitution One (1) year of additional education above the Bachelor’s Degree level may be substituted for one (1) year of the required management/administrative analytic work.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.) Possession of a valid State of California driver's license may be required for some assignments.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with billing systems, integrated utility processes, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Computer Skills - Highly experienced user of common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Analytical Thinking - Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Decision Making – Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
Fiscal Management - Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Supervision - Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response. You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. If you have questions about the duties of this position, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Michelle Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position? If yes, please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications.
2) Do you have staff supervisory experience? If yes, please describe your responsibilities, including the number of staff supervised and their respective roles (i.e. clerical, analytical, etc.)
3) Describe your experience leading a billing or revenue program, including your responsibilities for daily operations and implementing policies and procedures.
4) Describe your experience implementing and upgrading technology solutions, with a focus on accounting, billing, and/or payment systems.