Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in this classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
The City of San José - Mineta San José International Airport is currently recruiting for Senior Airport Operations Specialist for the Airport Operations Division. This position performs work under the immediate supervision of an Airport Operations Supervisor and the Manager-on-Duty to support the variety of airport operations duties related to compliance, enforcement and customer service essential to the 24-hour operation of a medium-hub international airport. These activities support the four sections of Airport Operations (Airside, Terminal Management / Customer Service, Landside, and Security). This position will rotate responsibilities between the various sections referenced above to gain a comprehensive knowledge base and insight of the functionality of the Airport.
Typical duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Respond to emergencies, distressed or disabled aircraft, hazardous materials spills, wildlife or other airfield accidents or incidents
• May perform airfield inspections and other operations duties in support of airside.
• Coordinates cleanup efforts, prepares detailed informational and operational reports related to safety/security incidents, injuries and accidents.
• Use vehicle to patrol the airfield to inspect and observe aircraft, tenants, perimeter fences, gates to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and act to correct deficiencies.
Terminal Management / Customer Service:
• Coordinate common use resources (gates, remote parking, ticket counters, bag belts) to maintain safe, efficient day to day operations.
• Assist in documenting and resolving disruptions to operations such as bag jams, passenger queue control and irregular airline operations.
• Regular inspections of the terminal facility to ensure a clean, reputable terminal facility is available to the traveling public.
• Conducting customer service surveys in order to drive improvements for the overall passenger experience.
• Uses data entry and personal interaction to process permits, reports, and work orders to ensure regulatory compliance and exceptional customer service.
• Observes, records, and enforces activities conducted on the Landside (terminal curbs, roadways, traffic control, public & employee parking facilities, and Ground Transportation areas).
• Responds to emergencies, vehicle accidents, or other Landside incidents to maintain a safe and efficient operation. Includes on-site inspection of the area, and performing or coordinating activities as required.
• Perform surveillance, inspection and investigations for enforcement of the Airport Security Program, investigates security breaches and violations.
• Use of a vehicle to patrol the airport to inspect tenants, perimeter fences, employees, and contractors to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and take action to correct deficiencies.
• Enforces proper procedures for Airport's Access Control System to prevent unauthorized and/or unescorted access to the Air Operations Area (AOA)
Airport Operations Center:
• Monitors the Airport’s CCTV, Access Control, Fire Monitoring System, Building Management and Baggage Handling Systems. Coordinates appropriate responses.
• Monitors and utilizes all Airport and public safety radio frequencies.
• Performs passenger paging and other customer service functions throughout the facilities.
• Coordinates internal Airport/Tenant communications via radio, telephone etc.
In addition, the Senior Airport Operations Specialist will be required to multi-task and utilize various computer programs within each section of Airport Operations including Access Control System, Resource and Gate Management systems, Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). The Senior Airport Operations Specialists will also be expected to manage multiple phone lines and radio channels to coordinate airport activities within the AOC and perform a variety of general clerical duties such as: filing, preparation of records, forms, and other pertinent documents.
Other duties the Senior Airport Operations Specialist may be assigned include but are not limited to; compiles data, prepares reports, completes necessary and required forms and oversees recordkeeping to provide top-notch customer service to business stakeholders and the traveling public. Successful candidates must demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information. As well as poses the ability to enforce and correct deficiencies regarding compliance with rules and regulations under the following agencies: California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), City of San Jose, and the Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The final filing date for this job announcement is January 31, 2022.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
1) Indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications (check all that apply):
a) I do not meet the minimum qualifications
b) I have at least a bachelor’s degree in aviation or closely related field
c) I have at least one (1) year of experience in the aviation field or an internship in aviation.
d) I have additional experience in aviation that may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
2) Please describe your work experience related to Federal Aviation Regulation Part 139 and Transportation Security Regulations (TSR) 1542, including how many years, and providing examples of your direct experience related these regulations.
3) Are you able to perform shift work and adjust to various work assignments that include weekends, holidays, swing and graveyard shift?
4) Please provide an example of a time when you had two important projects competing for your time. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Kit Kwan at email@example.com.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations. Knowledge of and/or Experience related to Federal Aviation Regulation Part 139 and Transportation Security Regulations (TSR) 1542 is desirable.
- Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
- Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational support and direction.
- Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Senior Airport Operations Specialist I: Bachelor’s degree in aviation or closely related field AND one (1) year of experience in the aviation field or an internship in aviation. Additional experience in aviation may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis. Aviation experience is typically gained by working for the following types of organizations: airport, airline, fixed based operator, airport related contractor, aviation related government agency or military aviation.
Senior Airport Operations Specialist II: Bachelor's Degree in Aviation or closely related field OR certification from an airport industry professional organization AND one (1) year experience at the level of Senior Airport Operations Specialist I. Additional experience may not be substituted for education.
Senior Airport Operations Specialist III: Bachelor's Degree in Aviation or closely related field AND certification from an airport industry professional organization AND two (2) years experience at the level of Senior Airport Operations Specialist I or higher. Additional experience may not be substituted for education.
- Incumbents are required to complete and pass a TSA mandated, Criminal History Records Check and a Security Threat Assessment and all other City, State or Federal requirements.
- California Drivers License.
- Obtain an Airport issued Ramp Drivers Permit and Movement Area Operating Permit within 6 months of employment.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application. Candidates are required to satisfactorily complete and pass a fingerprint based Criminal History Records Check prior to being considered for a position in this class at the Airport. This Airport position requires a background check and a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) check. The candidate must be fingerprinted and qualify under all applicable TSA and Airport regulations.