The award-winning San José Public Library (SJPL) consists of more than 600 employees, a 2 3 % bilingual workforce, and has 24 branch libraries across San José, in addition to the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, which is the city's main library jointly operated through a unique partnership with San José State University. SJPL serves a diverse community of roughly one-million residents and currently has nearly 700,000 library members. It annually attracts over 6 million visitors (pre-pandemic) and circulates more than 8 million items per year.
Over the past few years, SJPL has cultivated a 21st century library experience dedicated to public service and committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the core. In addition to providing library services to the community, SJPL proudly leads two citywide initiatives - the Education and Digital Literacy Strategy and the SJ Access digital equity initiative, which has become the number one provider of free public access to Wi-Fi connectivity, tech device lending, and multi-lingual digital literacy programs and support. SJPL is led by Jill Bourne, City Librarian, who was nationally recognized in 2017 as Library Journal's "Librarian of the Year."
SJPL enriches lives by fostering lifelong learning and ensuring that every member of the community has access to a vast array of ideas and information. The library department is a place where people do great work and make a difference in our community. To see examples of SJPL's work and learn more about its impact, visit www.sjpl.org. Join us to make a difference!
This position requires afternoon to evening availability Monday - Sunday . Shift rotation may be required and will be based on the needs of the department.
Under the direction of the Security Services Supervisor , this position is responsible for performing work focused around ensuring community safety building and delivering de-escalatory security services at any of the 24 San Jose Public Library branches . This position has the unique opportunity to establish and build community trust and safety.
The Senior Security Officer role will conduct duties related to monitoring and responding to security related incidents at library branches, be proactive in mitigating/deterring criminal activity and damage, as well as provide security coaching and training to staff. The Security Officer will monitor inside the library building , as well as the outside perimeter of library building and library parking lot.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Interact with a diverse population of library customers and employees to preserve a safe and inviting community environment; provide customer service to library customers . Patrol multiple library branch locations, including building interior and exterior, to identify and deter illegal activities, report suspicious behavior or dangerous situations, while promoting a positive visual presence.
* Address and deescalate library security incidents in alignment to the SJPL B ehavior P olicy and enforcement of violation guidelines.
* Ensure a calm and consistent demeanor when dealing with difficult library customers as well as ensure safety of Library staff.
* Determine , using sound judgement, the best means of re solving security situations, including informing customers about library policies, reporting incidents appropriately to local law enforcement, producing accurate documentation/reporting, warning customers of rule infractions or violations, and assisting staff with escorting people out and serving suspension paperwork.
* Investigate and document potentially hazardous conditions and communicate with library facilities, executive management, Police, Fire, and other agencies as appropriate ; liaise with the partner University Police Department and San Jose Police Department, as needed.
* Write incident reports of library conduct policy violations, activities, and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences. Maintain security-related records and information.
* Draft library customer suspensions requests and serve suspension paperwork; gather and present data related to incidents.
* Evaluate and recommend revision of security and emergency procedures and policies.
* Interpret, implement, and relay legal statutes, laws, departmental policies, procedures, and regulations.
* Provide security-related trainings to Library staff.
* May provide training to contract security officers, monitor effectiveness, and evaluate process improvements; ensure current training of all security personnel is complete.
* Respond to emergencies at any of the branch libraries; ensure accurate reporting and follow up with Library executive management; Respond to medical emergencies and may provide first aid or CPR.
* Current CPR and American Red Cross Standard First Aid certification desired, but not required time of hire. Training can be provided.
* Bilingual skills preferred.
The salary range for Senior Security Officer is approximately $73,098.48 - $88,823.28 annually . This amount includes an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable pay. Actual salary shall be determined by the final candidates' qualifications and experience.
T he successful candidate will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to interpret, implement and relay policies, procedures, laws, regulations with the public and partner departments , and possess the ability to mitigate and deescalate conflict.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process :
1. Have you completed high school or the equivalent?
1. Do you have four (4) years of experience in security, safety , or law enforcement?
1. If you answered yes to the above question, please describe your experience including number of years , where it was obtained , and include any experience related to patrolling multiple locations.
1. Do you possess a valid California Driver's License?
1. Please indicate if you have relevant computer experience with any of the following: (select all that apply)
* Microsoft Outlook
1. The San José Public Library serves a diverse population varying in many aspects and our goal is to create a secure and pleasant environment. Please describe your experience interacting with a diverse population of customers and provide specific examples. In addition, provide specific examples of interactions you had with the customers who are experiencing mental health crisis, homelessness, poverty, language barriers, etc.
1. Provide an example of a challenging security-related situation you had to deescalate or resolve. Please explain the techniques/processes that you utilize to deconflict/ resolve issues.
1. Describe your experience writing security or incident reports, including any software you used and what you consider when writing your reports.
You must answer all job-specific questions to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Daniel Aholt at Daniel.Aholt@sjlibrary.org .
-Link to: Benefits page
-Link to: Department website
The application deadline is March 1 , 202 4 . Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted , you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third-party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose's website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers .
Employees in this classification are represented by Municipal Employee's Federation (MEF), AFSCME, Local No. 101.
Education: Completion of high school or equivalent (General Education Development [GED] Test or California Proficiency Certificate)
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in security, safety, or law enforcement .
Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid State of California Driver's license.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
1. Job Expertise: Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies, basic legal procedures, and federal and state rules and regulations.
1. Social Awareness : Demonstrates the ability to read or sense other people's emotions and how they influence the situation of interest or concern; demonstrates empathy and organizational awareness .
1. Conflict Management: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people, by presenting the facts, analysis, and conclusions or solutions that show command of content and perspectives and interests of the audience.
1. Customer Service: Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
1. Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills: Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
1. Problem Solving: Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
1. Initiative: Exhibits resourceful behaviors toward meeting job objectives ; anticipates problems, is proactive, and avoids difficulties by planning ahead; displays willingness to assume extra responsibility and challenges; pursues continuing education opportunities that promotes job performance.
1. Computer Skills: Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
1. Communication Skills: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.