San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) is seeking qualified individuals for a pool of Mobile Health Services Assistants assigned to drive and operate the Mobile Dental Clinic, as well as to assist in providing patient services at this clinic.
Besides being a full-scope medical center and hospital, the SMMC operates four dental clinics located in San Mateo, Redwood City, Half Moon Bay and Daly City. These clinics treat children and adults. In addition, a Mobile Dental Clinic (39-foot van) provides services and treatment to patients throughout San Mateo County. The patient population served by the Mobile Dental Clinic, includes adult homeless living in shelters, children and expectant mothers on MediCal.
As our Mobile Health Services Assistant, you will be responsible for driving and maintaining the Mobile Dental Clinic, conducting initial intake/assessments at the scheduled stops, interviewing patients to obtain necessary information for registration and performing other duties related to patient assistance and supportive services. Joining a team of dedicated dental care professionals, including a Dentist and Dental Assistant, you will have the opportunity to work closely with the community and provide valuable services to our patients.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Valid class "B" or "C" California driver license and prior experience operating and maintaining a large vehicle, must be able to operate a 30-foot or larger vehicle;
- Good driving record, free of moving violations;
- Current Basic Life Support certificate;
- Minimum of one year of office support experience, which involved direct patient contact in a community outreach or clinical setting;
- Knowledge of vehicle maintenance both routine and preventative;
- Good communication skills, including exceptional customer service skills and the ability to work effectively in a close-contact, team environment;
- Positive, "can do" attitude;
- Bilingual ability - Spanish speaking preferred;
- Exceptional organizational skills;
- Experience working in a team environment; and
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new things.
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
Examples Of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drive a Mobile Dental Clinic van to locations according to established scheduled.
- Conduct initial intake/assessment at scheduled location stops.
- Interview patients to obtain necessary information for registration and billing as required; review personal, financial and insurance details with patients; explain available coverage plans and calculate treatment costs under selected plan.
- Register patients for appropriate health services.
- Provide assistance and supporting services to patients and clients.
- Maintain records of all services provided on the mobile health van.
- Inputs patient admitting, registration and/or billing information into system following specific guidelines and instructions; retrieve data and prepare a variety of reports related to patient census and/or patient insurance and financial status.
- Verify insurance program eligibility for emergency and hospital admissions.
- Classify data on hospital and clinic documents and assign appropriate codes.
- Respond to patient inquiries regarding County health care services, clinic policies and procedures; advise patients of services available, billing procedures, regulations and other related information.
- Operate standard office equipment, including a personal or on-line computer.
- Perform routine safety checks; identify needed vehicle maintenance and arrange for its completion.
- Secure Mobile Dental Clinic van in established parking area at the end of the day.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: Traffic laws, ordinances and regulations governing safe operation of County-owned motor vehicles; policies and procedures related to medical patient services, insurance and billing area to which assigned; medical terminology as related to office support work; office practices and procedures, including filing, reception and the operation of standard office equipment; basic business data processing principles and the use of word processing or computing equipment; business arithmetic; and basic record-keeping principles and practices.
Skill/Ability to: Operate the mobile clinic vehicle in a safe, professional and courteous manner; perform accurate and detailed patient services clerical work; prioritize work and coordinate several activities; operate standard office equipment, including a word processor and computer terminal; use initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines; work effectively with difficult people, including very sick or uncooperative patients; organize and maintain accurate files and records; make accurate arithmetic calculations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; and understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is one year of office support experience, which involved direct patient contact in a community outreach or clinical setting.
Licensure: Possession of a valid California driver license or equivalent.
Anyone may apply. The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
San Mateo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer