FINAL DATE FOR FILING: CONTINUOUS
The San Mateo County Libraries is seeking applicants for Quest Program Aide to assist with the East Palo Alto Library Quest Learning Center.
The position is located in East Palo Alto and is an extra-help assignment. The incumbent will work between 10-15 hours per week.
The Quest Learning Center is located within the East Palo Alto Library and is a free service of the San Mateo County Libraries for youth in 2nd - 5th grade students from August to the end of May. The mission of the program is to improve students' literacy skills to help them become part of a literate, confident, and creative community of life-long learners. We offer literacy enrichment, homework help, and mentoring in a safe after school environment with student-to-tutor ratios of 5:1 or better.
Program hours are Monday - Thursday from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. and host a Family Engagement Night once a month on Friday from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. for students and their parents. Throughout the program, youth partake in learning stations to expand their critical thinking skills and promote creativity.
We are seeking candidates who are interested in working in the library environment and maintaining a customer-friendly library. We are interested in individuals who are comfortable working both independently and with the public. Attention to detail is critical for success in this position and comfort with technology is desirable.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for serving the community and working with people
- Interest or experience working with families and children - in an educational or social services environment - and/or in working with technology
- An interest in, or experience working with, technology
- An eye for detail, creativity, and flexibility
- Spanish speaking is preferred, but not required
The Quest Program Aide will perform in the following duties, but are not limited to:
- Provide support to the Community Program Specialist and Library Assistants
- Perform tasks to aid in getting program materials ready, such as ensuring student activity binders are up-to-date and performance logs are accurately completed
- Support co-workers in providing excellent customer service, programs, and outreach
- Support 2nd - 5th grade program students with reading, writing, and homework
- Assist in leading/co-leading fun enrichment activities in community events and programs
- Serve as a role model to students
- Share appreciation and enthusiasm toward education
- Provide effective communication with youth, parents, and fellow tutors
- Collaborate with library personnel to advertise library programs and events
- Assist with Super Snack meal service Monday-Thursday
- Ensure accurate forms are completed (i.e. attendance, volunteer logs, super snack forms, etc.)
- Effectively collaborate and work on teams with volunteers and community partners
- Ensure students are engaged at all times
- Ensure efficient table rotation and support successful tutor to student ratios
- Provide additional support to the library with aide duties including but not limited to: sorting and shelving books and materials, checking in library materials, backup support to the information desk, including collecting fines
- Perform related duties as assigned
San Mateo County Libraries
San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL) ignites growth through transformative experiences. SMCL connects people to exciting and valuable services, programs, resources, and more. The successful applicant will provide behind the scenes support, as well as work directly with the public. This position combines processing and shelving library materials, creating displays, merchandising and refreshing collections, greeting library patrons, and providing basic customer service. Library Aides have the opportunity to provide support to programs and outreach events that include story times, play facilitation, hands-on craft and STEM activities for children, book clubs, technology instruction, and music events for teens and adults! This is an opportunity to join a dynamic public services team and to make a positive impact in the community!
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
- Library functions and purposes
Skill / Ability to:
- Carry out written and oral instructions about library routines; file books and periodicals according to established library systems; and alphabetize, read, and perform simple arithmetic
NOTE: Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as this position may be filled anytime within the process. Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format.
- Responses to the following Supplemental Questions:
- Please briefly describe why you are excited about working for the Library.
- Please describe any experience you have working with children.
- Because of the diverse population in San Mateo County, some of the libraries hire Library Aides who have bilingual language skills. If you have bilingual language skills please list any languages, other than English, in which you are fluent. Otherwise, please answer "n/a". (Bilingual skills are preferred, but not required.)
Please include the words "Quest Program Aide - Extra-Help Position" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials should be in a Word or PDF format. Submittals that do not include all required documents (Resume and responses to the Supplemental Questions) will not be considered. Applications are not accepted online.
Please submit all of the materials listed above via email to:
Dolly Goyal, Library Services Manager
Final Filing Date: Continuous
County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer