FINAL DATE FOR FILING: CONTINUOUS
The San Mateo County Libraries is seeking applicants for the position of Library Aide. The Library Aide position is a part time, extra-help position assigned to the East Palo Alto Library.
San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL) ignites growth through transformative experiences. SMCL connects people to exciting and valuable services, programs, resources, and more. The successful applicant will provide behind the scenes support, as well as work directly with the public. This position combines processing and shelving library materials, creating displays, merchandising and refreshing collections, greeting library patrons, and providing basic customer service. Library Aides have the opportunity to provide support to programs and outreach events that include story times, play facilitation, hands-on craft and STEM activities for children, book clubs, technology instruction, and music events for teens and adults! This is an opportunity to join a dynamic public services team and to make a positive impact in the community!
Library Aides must be available to work a schedule that typically includes a combination of day, evening, and weekend shifts. The positions are part time and extra-help, and will generally work 10-15 hours per week. Extra-help staff members are limited to working 1040 hours within a fiscal year, or an average of 20 hours per week.
Flexibility to cover additional shifts during library open hours (see https://smcl.bibliocommons.com/locations) is preferred.
We seek candidates who are interested in working in the library environment and maintaining a customer-friendly library. We are interested in individuals who are comfortable working both independently and with the public. Comfort with technology is desirable. In some community libraries, the ability to speak a second language is preferred. Attention to detail is critical for success in this position. Individuals who are interested in library careers have the opportunity to learn and grow in the Library Aide position.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Shelve materials, create and fill displays, and maintain a beautiful library
- Provide friendly, enthusiastic customer service
- Perform physical tasks such as lifting and moving library material up to 50 pounds
- Perform tasks to aid in getting library materials shelf-ready, such as labeling and processing
- Work independently, follow through on tasks, and be a self-starter
- Support co-workers in providing excellent customer service, programs, and outreach
- Grow and develop new skills in your position
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- A passion for serving the community and working with people
- Interest and experience working with families and children - in an educational or social services environment
- An interest in, or experience working with, technology
- An eye for detail, creativity, and flexibility
- Bilingual language skills are preferred, but nor required, for this position
NOTE: This is an extra-help, at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
- Library functions and purposes
Skill / Ability to:
- Carry out written and oral instructions about library routines; file books and periodicals according to established library systems; and alphabetize, read, and perform simple arithmetic
This is an extra-help assignment. Anyone may apply.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, the following materials must be electronically submitted via email in a Word or PDF format:
- A cover letter which includes your responses to the following questions:
- Please briefly describe why you are excited about working for the Library.
- Because of the diverse population in San Mateo County, some of the libraries hire Library Aides who have bilingual language skills. If you have bilingual language skills please list any languages, other than English, in which you are fluent. Otherwise, please answer "n/a". (Bilingual skills are preferred, but not required.)
- Are you able to consistently work weekends?
Please include the words "Library Aide - East Palo Alto Library (Part Time / Extra-Help)" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials should be in a Word or PDF format. Submittals that do not include all required documents (Resume and Responses to the Supplemental Questions) will not be considered. Applications are not accepted online.
Please submit all of the materials listed above via email to both:
Adina Aguirre, Branch Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Our diverse workforce is at the core of our public service mission. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.