FINAL DATE FOR FILING: September 05, 2019.
Apply for a Library Branch Manager I/II position with San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL) and join us in igniting growth through transformative experiences!
San Mateo County Libraries are an invaluable community resource, an amazing family, a springboard for opportunities. And our staff are what makes it so special. We're champions of learning, sharing, and exploration of open minds, new ideas, and bright futures. It's our mission and our passion to strengthen our community by creating an inclusive sense of place and an environment for learning. We seek enthusiastic team players, creative risk takers, and flexible individuals who proactively search for new opportunities to make public library services relevant to all members of the community. Join the San Mateo County Libraries team and become a champion of what libraries can be and do in their communities.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced manager looking to move into a progressive, forward-thinking organization, or for a skilled librarian to transition into a management role. Library Branch Managers report to a Deputy Director and are members of the Library's Management Team, leading the effort to fulfill our strategic plan. Library Branch Managers act as champions within the organization, ensuring that spaces, programs, and services all embody our exciting brand.
Note: The eligible list generated by this recruitment may be used to fill current and future vacancies throughout San Mateo County Libraries, which includes locations in Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, San Carlos, and Woodside. The immediate vacancy we are looking to fill is anticipated at the Millbrae Library, though this could change by the time of interviews.
The Library Branch Manager I/II:
- Plans, develops, coordinates, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of one or multiple library branches.
- Develops goals and objectives for branch(es) and staff that align with San Mateo County Libraries' vision, mission, strategic goals and brand.
- Manages and coaches a team of staff to provide excellent and innovative library services to the community in a positive environment.
- Leads and supports staff in engaging in smart risk-taking, striving for innovation and embracing change.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of programs and conducts community needs assessments.
- Works closely with Friends of the Library and other community groups to support and expand library programming and services.
- Leads and supports the planning and implementation of programs and services throughout San Mateo County Libraries.
The ideal candidate will be highly effective in diverse settings and proactively seek opportunities to make library services relevant to multicultural communities. The successful candidate is excited about new challenges and is effective in communicating with people from a variety of backgrounds.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Visualize, design, and deliver non-traditional and innovative library services that meet the needs of the community.
- Provide excellent customer service and establish cooperative working relationships with the community, city, staff, and library users.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures.
- Establish standards of performance and clear expectations for library staff.
- Inspire, motivate, and mentor others.
- Problem solve using a collaborative teamwork approach.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate tasks and events to maximize utilization of available resources.
- Work with diverse populations in a multi-cultural setting.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and make public presentations.
Because of the diversity of the communities we serve, bilingual language skills are preferred, but not required. Specifically, we seek applicants with the ability to read, write, and speak fluently in English and Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese
SAN MATEO COUNTY LIBRARIES
San Mateo County Libraries (SMCL) is a Joint Powers Authority comprised of the cities of Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, San Carlos, Woodside, and the unincorporated areas of San Mateo County, a service area with approximately 279,000 residents, 65% of whom have library cards. Named a four-star library by Library Journal for the 11th consecutive year, SMCL ranked 4th in California among similar peer libraries. The 2.2 million visitors to SMCL libraries last year checked out more than 3.4 million materials and accessed public computers for more than 230,000 hours. Annually, over 12,000 programs and activities are provided to more than 329,000 children, teens, and adults. From book clubs to bike clinics, video game design to resume workshops, salsa tastings to Mid-Autumn Festivals, San Mateo County Libraries provides a variety of exciting library programs and events for our diverse communities. For more information about San Mateo County Libraries, please visit www.smcl.org.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Education: A Master of Library Science or recognized equivalent degree, from an American Library Association accredited college or university is required.
Experience: Any combination of experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is four years of experience as a librarian, including one year of supervisory experience.
- Management principles and practices.
- Library purposes, organization techniques and procedures.
- Principles and practices of library science.
- Budget principles and practices.
- Principles and techniques of supervision.
- Plan, direct, and evaluate programs and activities.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff.
- Analyze and resolve problems.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others.
- Conduct needs assessments and perform community outreach.
- Identify, define, and seek creative solutions to improve library service.
- Make determinations on library materials.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply. Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions (weight: pass/fail). Candidates who pass the application screening may be invited to a panel interview (weight:100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
~ Tentative Recruitment Schedule ~
Final Filing Date: September 5, 2019, at 11:59 PM
Application Screening: Week of September 16 - September 19, 2019
Panel Interviews: October 8 and/or 9, 2019
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Ximena Burns (080919) (Library Branch Manager I/II- D188/D189)