The San Mateo County Employees’ Retirement Association (SamCERA) is looking for their next valued team member to fulfill the role of Retirement Senior Accountant. We invite you to join a team that provides caring, fair, accurate, timely and knowledgeable professional services and information to its members and other stakeholders.
The mission of SamCERA is to serve as loyal fiduciary for its members (comprised of permanent employees of the County of San Mateo, the San Mateo County Superior Court, and the San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District) and to serve as a prudent administrator of the retirement system. For more information about our organization, visit https://www.samcera.org/.
Under direction of the Finance Officer, the Retirement Senior Accountant will plan, assign, direct, coordinate and evaluate the work of professional and fiscal support staff performing accounting and finance activities; create timely and accurate financial statements, administer financial systems, analyze financial data to complete reports and make recommendations; and perform other related duties. This position assists with the development and management of all financial transactions, record keeping of all general and institutional investment activities, pension payroll processes, and human resource administration in SamCERA.
In addition to the minimum education and experience requirement, the ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience in accounting for general and investment financial activities.
- Knowledge in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and requirements of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Experience with project management and process improvement.
- Ability to adapt changes and work with teams.
- Ability to work independently, solve problems with innovative mindset and exercise sound judgment within established guidelines.
- Ability to manage time and deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
Examples Of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, direct, supervise, train, review and/or evaluate the work of assigned staff.
- Provide input into selection decisions and disciplinary matters.
- Provide on-going reassessment of current departmental procedures, implement improvements to work flow and prepare up-to-date process documentation.
- Interpret and apply applicable policies and procedures in accordance with the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937.
- Interact with the external auditors to provide adequate data and support during their fieldwork.
- Research various accounting-related issues including, but not limited to, investments, securities lending, general accounting, and retiree payroll.
- Assist the Finance Officer with special projects and other related work as required.
- Provide guidance and training to accounting and other SamCERA staff regarding accounting issues.
- Prepare financial statements and other reports by analyzing and summarizing financial and statistical data; identify significant financial reporting events and prepare footnote disclosures for annual audited financial report.
- Prepare a variety of highly complex and special reports on pension fund activities, budgetary requirements and actuarial analysis.
- Examine and analyze SamCERA’s fiscal operations, recommending enhancements to the department’s record-keeping, financial accounting and budgetary controls.
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets, including accounting and statistical analysis to support appropriate funding levels. Analyze institutional investment and pension accounting records for use in preparing annual cash flows and budgets.
- Prepare trend analysis report of cash disbursements, forecast, calculate and analyze prepaid contributions, investment income and expenses.
- Develop financial forecast including cash inflows and outflows.
- Prepare journal entries and periodic reconciliations of general ledger, journal, subsidiary accounts, and bank statements.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A typical way to qualify is:
Education: Graduation from a four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business administration or a closely related field. This classification requires the successful completion of a minimum of twelve semester units of college level accounting coursework.
Experience: The equivalent of three years full-time professional accounting or auditing experience with increasing responsibility throughout the years, including the performance of a variety of accounting and fiscal responsibilities, one year of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity in an accounting section or division.
- The County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 as it pertains to SamCERA procedures.
- Governmental Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and requirements of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Principles, practices and terminology of institutional investment.
- Project management and leadership techniques.
- Auditing techniques, principles, and practices.
- Accounting software programs.
- General actuarial concepts and terminologies.
- Principles and practices of business data processing, particularly as related to the processing of accounting information.
- Principles and practices of supervision or management.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Terminologies, concepts and practices related to the processing and maintenance of retirement system records.
- Plan, organize, supervise, train and evaluate the work of staff.
- Perform technical, specialized, complex or difficult accounting projects.
- Read and interpret complex employee benefit and pension plan regulations including the County Employees Retirement law of 1937., pertinent codes, accounting guidelines, manuals and plan documents.
- Apply governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Prepare comprehensive financial reports and budgets.
- Explain complex procedures to coworkers and coach staff in new skills and procedures.
- Identify emerging risk issues and trends and present analysis to management.
- Establish priorities, analyze problems and identify solutions under pressure.
- Meet deadlines and follow-up on responsibilities.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to groups.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with members of the Retirement Board, SamCERA staff, members of the Retirement Association, other governmental agencies, outside corporations, and various consultants.
- Perform complex mathematical and statistical calculations accurately.
Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply. Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
Important Information About the Examination Process:
The examination process will consist of the steps detailed in the order below. Because of this examination process, not all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are guaranteed advancement through the examination process.
1. Initial review of application materials. At this step, applicants submitting incomplete applications and/or incomplete responses to the supplemental questions, lacking relevant qualifications, and/or not following instructions will be disqualified. Application submissions that do not follow instructions will be rejected. Applicants who pass the initial review will be invited to take an online computer-based examination.
2. Online computer-based examination (weight: pass/fail): Those applicants who pass the initial review process outlined above will receive a link, via email, for the online computer-based examination. Please make sure to read all notices carefully. Applicant requests for alternate exam dates will not be granted. Reasonable accommodations for medical conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must be requested at the time of application.
3. Applicants who pass the online computer-based examination will be placed on an eligible list and top ranked candidates will be invited for an interview.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply" button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE:
Final Filing Date for Applications: Continuous
Online Computer-Based Examination: TBD
At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.
County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Mandy Singh (01132021) (Retirement Senior Accountant-Exempt E-012)
For additional information and to apply, please visit: