The Procurement Division of the Human Resources Department is seeking well-qualified candidates for the position of Buyer II. Under general supervision, a Buyer II provides a full range of detailed and complex procurement services for all county departments.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receive, review, and check purchase requisitions to determine needs of departments, market conditions, and product availability
- Consult and assist departments with product selection and procurement methods
- Invite and accept bids, and evaluate prices, discounts, and delivery conditions
- Assist departments in the preparation of product specifications and contracts
- Analyze bids for conformance to specifications, and award bids
- Interview sales and manufacturers' representatives about products and services
- Investigate complaints and problems and make recommendations for solutions and/or adjustments
- Serve on various project teams and committees as required
- Prepare reports, recommendations, and correspondence
- Provide technical assistance to departments on the County's automated purchasing system
- Instruct departments on County procurement procedures and policies
- Perform related duties and special projects as assigned
The current vacancy is a Limited-Term position. Limited-term positions are at-will positions. Employees receive full medical and dental benefits, like regular employees, and a portable 401(a) plan. The position will have a duration of six to 12 months.
Though at-will, limited-term positions are subject to all applicable County policies, procedures, and terms of employment, including but not limited to provisions of the County Charter, the County Ordinance Code, Administrative Memos, departmental policies, and collective bargaining agreements, rules, and handbooks.
The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
This is a great opportunity to be employed with the County of San Mateo and with a dynamic, efficient, and results-oriented Procurement team.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
A typical way to qualify at the Buyer II level is three years of experience that would demonstrate knowledge and command of complex commodity areas, and the principles, policies, and procedures of public agency procurement.
- Principles, practices, procedures, and applications of large-scale procurement
- Laws and regulations governing procurement policies and procedures in public agencies
- Procedures and requirements of governmental procurement
- Commodity sources of supply, trade, brand names, publications, and source material in the field of procurement
- Procedures and practices of procurement using formal and informal bidding
- Sources of supply, marketing practices, and pricing methods and differentials
- Computer programs related to procurement and word processing
- Analyze purchase requisitions and evaluate specifications, proposals, bids, and contracts for complex commodity areas and purchases
- Develop product specifications, bids, and contracts
- Solve problems efficiently
- Perform the necessary research and make informed decisions using all available information and resources
- Work in a fast-paced environment
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Write clear, concise reports and correspondence
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with customers, vendors, and procurement team members
This is an open recruitment. Anyone may apply.
Because of the current level of activity in the Procurement Office, there is a need to fill this positions as soon as possible.
The recruitment is being conducted as a Continuous Recruitment. Applications will be screened as they are submitted, and the first set of interviews will be conducted beginning October 11, 2022
Because this is a continuous recruitment hiring decisions can be made at any time in the process. Apply immediately so you do not miss out on this great opportunity.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%).
Depending on the number of applicants an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualifications. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.
Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the 'Apply' button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.
We encourage you to APPLY IMMEDIATELY to be considered for these Buyer positions.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Chet Overstreet (10-01-2022) (Buyer II - E125)