The City of San Mateo Parks & Recreation Department currently has an opening for the position of Community Services Coordinator.
FINAL FILING DATE: Tuesday, March 2, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. OR Upon receipt of the first 100 applications & supplemental questionnaires, whichever occurs first
Be a part of the San Mateo Parks and Recreation Department team, which is a regular recipient of both local and statewide awards for its park design, program creativity, and staff accomplishments. We provide a full spectrum of landscape maintenance, park design, and recreational opportunities for the San Mateo community. There are 30 fully developed parks, 6 community recreation centers, 2 aquatic facilities, and an 18-hole golf course. The Community Services Coordinator is a vital position in the Recreation Division providing outstanding program delivery and service. We are seeking a motivated candidate to join our diverse and passionate team dedicated to providing exceptional public service. There are four Coordinator assignments within the Recreation Division:
- Senior Center Program Coordinator
- Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center Youth Program Coordinator
- Events and Teen Program Coordinator
- Police Activities League Youth Program Coordinator
The Coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating a specific program area within the Recreation Division. This assignment is typically a more defined program area that is narrower in size or scope than those assigned to Supervisors. Coordinators excel at the following:
- Instruct and lead specialized recreation and human services activities requiring leadership in a structured environment;
- Provide activities and general facility supervision and control at a community recreation center or special use facility;
- Coordinate, develop, implement, and evaluate programs and services;
- Perform office, administrative, public information and activity intake responsibilities;
- Assist in preparing program facilities for structured program activities and special events.
Experience and Training:
- You possess at least 2 years of responsible paid leadership experience in recreation or a related human services setting.
- You have the equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by college level courses in recreation or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish
Who You Are
- Innovative doer who welcomes challenge, is resourceful, and can lead a team to do great things.
- Professional who is team oriented and results driven.
- Exceptional communicator (oral and written) with superior interpersonal skills.
- Able to exercise good judgment and decision making abilities
What We Offer
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
- CalPERS retirement (2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members). Classic employees contribute 7.4% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS. Participation in the Social Security Program
- Plus Salary increase: 2% on 7/1/18
- Programs: Deferred Compensation plan and .5% city contribution to a Retirement Health Savings Account
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program, and Credit Union Membership
- Bilingual Diff: $195 monthly (if applicable)
- This classification is represented by the San Mateo City Employees’ Association
Are You Ready? Apply.Submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire (resumes strongly encouraged) at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of San Mateo, 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, (650) 522-7260.
Application Deadline:Recruitment will close by Friday, March 2, 2018 @ 5:00 p.m. or upon receipt of the first 100 applications and supplemental questionnaires, whichever occurs first.
Interview ProcessAll applications and supplemental questionnaires received will be reviewed for minimum qualifications. A limited number of the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the examination process which may consist of an oral panel interview, tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, March 20, 2018. An employment list will be established for those who pass the examination process. Current and future vacancies may be filled from this list. The list will remain in effect for at least 6 months with the possibility of an extension for an additional 6 months. Once placed on an employment list, and at the time a vacancy occurs, eligible candidates may be contacted by the hiring department and scheduled for additional department interviews.