The City of San Mateo is currently taking applications for the position of Dispatcher I.
This is a continuous recruitment. Applicants are added to the employment list as they meet the minimum qualification.
Some telephone or dispatcher experience is highly desirable.
Bi-lingual skills are desirable.
Equivalent to graduation from high school.
· English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
· Standard radio or telephone communications receiving and transmitting equipment.
· Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
· Learn standard broadcasting procedures and rules
· Learn to operate a computer aided dispatch system quickly and accurately.
· Understand and follow written and oral instructions
· Speak clearly and precisely
· Work various shifts and work well under pressure
· Exercise good judgment and make sound decisions in emergency situations
· Type at a speed necessary for adequate job performance
· Learn department procedures and policies
· Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
CalPERS retirement (2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members. Classic employees contribute 7.5% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS with participation in the Social Security Program
Programs: Deferred Compensation plan and 2% city contribution to a Retirement Health Savings Account
Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership
Bilingual Diff: $138.46 bi-weekly (if applicable)
This classification is represented by the San Mateo City’s Police Officers’ Association
Currently Dispatcher’s hours are scheduled under the 4-10 work schedule. Employees work ten hours per day, four days per week and shift work is required. Work schedules will vary and overtime may be required.