The City of San Mateo Public Works Department is Looking for a Senior Engineer
Why Join our Department?
When you join the Public Works Department, you will work among collaborative and energetic colleagues who share a passion for serving our San Mateo citizens and improving the community in which we live and work. Our team is comprised of individuals with diverse talents and experience in various fields. We will provide you with a wide range of opportunities in a team-based collaborative environment while helping you achieve your professional goals. Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, Creativity, Transparency and Informed Risk-taking are attributes within the City’s mission, values and organizational principles that we are seeking in the candidates.
This invitation is focused on recruiting a Senior Engineer who will work on the City’s Clean Water Program, which is approximately a $1 billion capital improvement program. The Clean Water Program has some of the most exciting municipal capital improvement projects in the San Francisco Bay Area. The largest project in the Clean Water Program is the Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade and Expansion Project, which upgrades new liquids treatment process facilities consisting of new headworks, primary treatment, and a five-stage biological nutrient removal/membrane bioreactor (BNR/MBR) process facilities. Within the wastewater collection system, we are rehabilitating and providing wet weather capacity improvements to several miles of pipes and critical pump stations. In addition, a 5.3 million gallon underground flow equalization system to mitigate sanitary sewer overflows from occurring during peak wet weather conditions is planned for construction.
While this recruitment is focused on a Clean Water Program assignment, all engineering disciplines are encouraged to apply as this recruitment may be utilized in the future to support other Public Works Department programs, which include the Pavement Management Program, Traffic Action Plans, Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety, Private Development, and Stormwater and Flood Protection. This is an exciting opening for you to be engaged and challenged with the opportunity to improve a critical function for our San Mateo community.
Look to some of the reasons why the City of San Mateo is a great place to work: https://youtu.be/XNAF7GZUNl8
What You’ll Do
The City of San Mateo is a very progressive and encourages staff and resident engagement to develop positive solutions that meet the demands of the community and regulatory landscape. To this end, the Senior Engineer will help lead efforts utilizing networking skills and developing new strategies and tactics to accomplish short and long-term project/program deliveries. The Senior Engineer will be given the opportunity to provide and participate in critical team leadership undertakings, while utilizing best practices relative to performance management and team-oriented approaches. As a manager, the Senior Engineer role will include responsibility for ensuring the best possible performance of each employee and accomplishing the collective services, goals, projects, initiatives, and work plans of the Department and City.
The Clean Water Program Senior Engineer’s key assignments align with the CWP’s goals and drivers, which are to 1) replace aging wastewater treatment and collection system infrastructure, 2) build capacity assurance and meet regulatory requirements, and 3) align with the City’s sustainability goals. The Senior Engineer will manage City and Consultant staff to successfully complete these goals and drivers. In addition, responsibilities may include leading, coordinating, and/or supporting a variety of the Clean Water Program functions, which include: program management, departmental and interdivisional coordination, change management, risk management, procurement, design delivery, program controls (funding, budgeting, and scheduling), environmental and permit compliance, outreach and engagement, and construction management.
Under the direction of an Engineering Manager, the Senior Engineer will perform the duties relative to their position. Demands of this position will continue to evolve and change to respond to community needs. Adaptability and flexibility are important for success in this position. For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at https://www.cityofsanmateo.org/DocumentCenter/View/522
What You Bring
- Experience in team collaboration and staff supervision/management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering design, administration, and construction of infrastructure.
- Ability to make complex engineering calculations and to prepare and review engineering plans and specifications.
- Skill to effectively communicate and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Desire to contribute to a positive work environment that fosters motivation, collaboration, coaching and engagement.
- Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, Creativity, Transparency and Informed Risk-taking attributes.
What You Need
- You possess at least four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional engineering in areas of assignment.
- You have the equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Public Administration or a related field.
- You have a certificate of registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Supervisory experience
- Understanding of wastewater treatment and collection principles
- Construction management experience
Salary: $10,915 - $13,012/Monthly
What We Offer
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
- CalPERS retirement (2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members. Classic employees contribute 7.5% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS with participation in the Social Security Program
- City contribution of 1.5% of base salary to Deferred Compensation and will match up to 1% Employee contribution
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership
- Bilingual Differential: $195 monthly (if applicable)
- Employee housing loan up to $7,500 for home purchase or rental move-in assistance in the City of San Mateo.
- This classification is represented by the San Mateo Management Employees Association
Are You Ready? Apply.
Submit an online application, résumé, and supplemental questionnaire at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of San Mateo, 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, (650) 522-7260.
Recruitment will close by September 2, 2019 @ 5:00 p.m. or upon receipt of the first 50 applications, résumés, and supplemental questionnaires, whichever occurs first.
All applications, résumés (required) and supplemental questionnaires received will be reviewed for minimum qualifications. A limited number of the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the examination process, which may consist of an oral panel interview, written exercise, or in the form of a practical demonstration of skill and ability, or any combination of these, tentatively scheduled for mid-September.
An eligible list will be established for those who pass the examination process. Current and future vacancies may be filled from this list. The list will remain in effect for at least 6 months with the possibility of an extension for an additional 6 months. Once placed on an eligible list, and at the time a vacancy occurs, eligible candidates may be contacted by the hiring department and scheduled for additional department interviews.
Date Posted: July 15, 2019
Note: The City of San Mateo reserves the right, at its discretion, to limit the number of qualified candidates invited to the selection process. ALL RESPONSES WILL BE CONDUCTED VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED IN YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION. Therefore, it is imperative that you provide an email address to which you have access, and it is recommended that you frequently check your email for notices from: sanmateo@CalOpps.org
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a driving record review, reference check, and a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should contact Lourdes Coles, Sr. Human Resources Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 522-7264. Do not upload any documents related to your request for accommodation in CalOpps. The policy of the City of San Mateo is to grant equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual preference, marital status or national origin. It is the intent and desire of the City of San Mateo that equal employment opportunity will be provided in recruiting, hiring, training, promoting, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment. The City of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).