City of San Mateo - Engineering Internship Opportunities
The City is looking for up to four (4) interns who will assist the Public Works Engineering Department on various municipal projects. Positions are open for the following fields of interest:
- Capital Improvement Program (CIP) – Civil engineering majors with an interest in capital improvement project management, design of civil infrastructure, and construction delivery processes. Assist with project standards, CAD drafting, plan review, data collection and analysis.
- Traffic Engineering – Civil engineering majors with an interest in traffic engineering, document organization and filing, field data collection, traffic studies, and plan reviews.
- Transportation Planning -Civil engineer majors with interest in parking and transportation. Assisting with creating parking zone signage, mapping, program evaluations, and data analysis.
- Clean Water Program (CWP) – Civil engineering majors with an interest in wastewater collection and treatment. Assisting with project development tasks, internal standardization, data collection and analysis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must be in the process of earning an undergraduate or Master’s degree in civil engineering or a related field as described above. Applicants must have a valid California Driver’s License (Class C).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn new information quickly
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Project) and web-based resources
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate workload
- Ability to work independently and within teams
- Exhibit a positive attitude and flexibility in accepting assignments
- Adobe Acrobat Pro, AutoCAD, Google Earth, or ArcGIS experience is highly desirable
- Experience with interpretation of technical information and statistics
DUTIES: The primary projects will include the following:
- Assisting engineering project managers with administrative or technical tasks
- Drafting engineering plans in AutoCAD
- Creating map displays using Google Earth or GIS
- Gathering, compiling, and presenting data for engineering and construction projects
- Organizing and tracking inspection reports, testing results, invoices, and other construction documentation
- Conducting field assessments of the condition of streets, drainage systems, and other public works infrastructure
- Investigating and proposing responses to questions or inquiries from residents
- Assist in other areas such as interdepartmental communication and public outreach
In addition, the intern may work on a variety of other projects depending availability and workload.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an official City of San Mateo employment application and supplemental questionnaire on-line on CalOpps.org by March 27, 2020, or upon 100 applications, whichever occurs first.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an official City of San Mateo employment application and supplemental questionnaire on-line on CalOpps.org by March 27, 2020, or upon 100 applications whichever occurs first.