We invite applications for the position of:
Recreation Specialist I
$15.45 per hour
Must be 16 by October 19, 2020
The City of San Mateo Parks & Recreation Department is looking for enthusiastic, crafty,
creative and energetic individuals to join our Learning & Education Assistance Program!
About this role
Do you love to be outside, stay active, play games and laugh a lot? We are looking for enthusiastic and energetic individuals to join our team! The Recreation Specialist I is our entry level position within the Recreation Specialist series. Typically, applicants will have little or no experience. Applicants who have completed the City of San Mateo’s Leaders in Training program or equivalent series are desired. As a part of the LEAP team, staff will enjoy the challenges, triumphs, opportunities, responsibilities, laughs, rewards and fun that make up each energizing and unique day at LEAP! This is a part time, non-benefited position, up to 18 hours per week and limited to 960 hours in a fiscal year (June-July).
Why Join our Department?
Our staff are devoted to creating a fun, safe and positive experience.
Our Values; Respect, Creativity, Integrity, Transparency and Inclusivity.
What You Bring:
- Energy and Enthusiasm!
- Experience and passion for working with children.
- Ability to obtain a work permit valid through December 18, 2020.
Who You Are
- You have a strong work ethic, customer service skills and works well with others.
- You have good judgment and make good decisions in a variety of situations.
- You are able to communicate well with your co-workers and supervisors.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with Recreation Specialist II and III’s in daily camp planning and implementation with children grades K-5.
- Lead age appropriate activities.
- Provide excellent customer service.
What We Offer
- A TON of leadership skills! You will develop your leadership and management skills as you learn to work cooperatively with other staff members, teaching and fostering positive child development throughout the summer.
- Create lasting friendships and memories! You will feel a personal sense of accomplishment and importance as you become a mentor and role model in the lives of children.
- Build your resume! Career benefits as a camp staffer include development of essential management and communication skills.
Recreation Specialist I (ages 16 & 17, not yet a High School Graduate):
Core responsibilities of this position are taught while working and include presenting a positive image to children and parents; be dependable and prompt while showing good judgement and safety skills within assignment.
Are You Interested? Apply.
Application can be found on our website at www.cityofsanmateo.org or at our Recreation Centers:
King Community Center, 725 Monte Diablo Ave., 94401
Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis.
Fine Print The policy of the City of San Mateo is to grant equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual preference, marital status or national origin. It is the intent and desire of the City of San Mateo that equal employment opportunity will be provided in recruiting, hiring, training, promoting, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment
This position is considered part time and offers no benefits.
Résumé submitted without the official application form will NOT be considered.