The City of San Mateo Public Works Department is Looking for a Senior Project Manager
Why Join our Department?
When you join the Public Works Department, you will work among collaborative and energetic colleagues who share a passion for serving our San Mateo citizens and improving the community in which we live and work. Our team is comprised of individuals with diverse talents and experience in various fields. We will provide you with a wide range of opportunities in a team-based collaborative environment while helping you achieve your professional goals. Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, Creativity, Transparency and Informed Risk-taking are attributes within the City’s mission, values and organizational principles that we are seeking in the candidates.
This invitation is focused on recruiting a Senior Project Manager who will support the City’s Clean Water Program, which is approximately a $1 billion capital improvement program. The Clean Water Program is a comprehensive plan to upgrade the aging wastewater collection and treatment system with advanced infrastructure that will provide reliable services for years to come to several communities in the San Francisco Bay area. The largest project in the Clean Water Program is the Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade and Expansion Project, which upgrades new liquids treatment process facilities consisting of new headworks, primary treatment, and a five-stage biological nutrient removal/membrane bioreactor process facilities. Within the wastewater collection system, we are rehabilitating and providing wet weather capacity improvements to several miles of pipes and critical pump stations. In addition, a 5.3 million gallon underground flow equalization system to mitigate sanitary sewer overflows from occurring during peak wet weather conditions is planned for construction.
Look to some of the reasons why the City of San Mateo is a great place to work: https://youtu.be/XNAF7GZUNl8
What You’ll Do
The Senior Project Manager manages, coordinates, and directs the implementation of complex capital improvement and related projects and provides support to City departments in managing CIP projects. This includes the planning, design, development, and implementation of high-quality capital projects in a timely, efficient, and cost effective manner.
The Clean Water Program Senior Project Manager’s key assignments align with the Clean Water Program’s goals and drivers: 1) replace aging wastewater treatment and collection system infrastructure, 2) build capacity assurance and meet regulatory requirements, and 3) align with the City’s sustainability goals. The Senior Project Manager will manage City and Consultant staff to successfully complete these goals and drivers. In addition, responsibilities may include leading, coordinating, and/or supporting a variety of the Clean Water Program functions, which include: program management, departmental and interdivisional coordination, change management, risk management, procurement, design delivery, program controls (funding, budgeting, and scheduling), environmental and permit compliance, outreach and engagement, and construction management.
The Senior Project Manager receives direction from a capital projects manager, Department Head, or higher level department personnel and may supervise/manage Project Managers. For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at https://www.cityofsanmateo.org/DocumentCenter/Home/Index/86
What You Bring
- Knowledge of project management principles and techniques, procedures for planning and processing capital projects, and for establishing plans, specifications, construction, and inspection for capital projects. Also, knowledge of basic building systems utilized in capital projects.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise complex capital improvement projects and consultant studies; and to read and interpret highly complex written material such as plans, specifications, codes, and ordinances, and ensure project compliance with Federal, State, and local codes and laws.
- Knowledge of principles of contract management and ability to prepare contract documents for professional services and construction projects and monitor performance.
- Experience in cost estimating and tracking and scheduling techniques for capital projects; and in analyzing situations and problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement an effective course of action in accordance with general policy and pertinent codes and regulations.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
What You Need
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- You possess at least five years of progressively responsible experience related to capital project management, facilities management, engineering, architecture, building or other construction supervision activities.
- You have the equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public or business administration, real estate development, architecture, engineering, construction management, or a related field.
- You possess a valid California Driver’s License.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Certificate of registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California
- Supervisory experience
- Understanding of wastewater treatment and collection principles
- Construction management experience
Salary: $9,971 - $11,887/month
What We Offer
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits
- CalPERS retirement 2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members. Classic employees contribute 7.84% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.75% to CalPERS
- Participation in the Social Security Program
- City contribution of 1.5% of base salary to Deferred Compensation, and matching up to 1.0% of the Employee’s contribution
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership
- Bilingual Diff: $195 monthly (if applicable)
- Employee housing loan up to $7,500 for home purchase or rental move-in assistance in the City of San Mateo
- This classification is represented by the San Mateo Management Association
** SIGNING BONUS/REFERRAL AWARD**
The Senior Project Manager hired from this recruitment will receive a signing bonus of $1,500 upon successful completion of probation. If an eligible merit City employee refers a candidate who is subsequently hired from this recruitment, he/she shall receive a $1,500 referral award in accordance with the City’s Targeted Recruitment Program Policy. The candidate must note the referring employee’s name on the City’s official employment application at the time he/she submits the application.
Are You Ready? Apply.
Submit an online application, résumé, and supplemental questionnaire at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of San Mateo, 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403, (650) 522-7260.
Recruitment will be opened until filled. This recruitment is subject to close at any time without notice. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. First review of applications will be April 24.
All applications, résumés (required), and supplemental questionnaires received will be reviewed for minimum qualifications. Applications with "see résumé" as a substitution for the work experience description, those with unclear past employment information, or those with insufficient information to evaluate possession of minimum qualifications will not be considered; missing information cannot be assumed. A limited number of the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the examination process, which may consist of an oral panel interview, written exercise, or in the form of a practical demonstration of skill and ability, or any combination of these.
An eligible list will be established for those who pass the examination process. Current and future vacancies may be filled from this list. The list will remain in effect for at least 6 months with the possibility of an extension for an additional 6 months. Once placed on an eligible list, and at the time a vacancy occurs, eligible candidates may be contacted by the hiring department and scheduled for additional department interviews.
Date Posted: March 26, 2020
Note: The City of San Mateo reserves the right, at its discretion, to limit the number of qualified candidates invited to the selection process. ALL RESPONSES WILL BE CONDUCTED VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS PROVIDED IN YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION. Therefore, it is imperative that you provide an email address to which you have access, and it is recommended that you frequently check your email for notices from: sanmateo@CalOpps.org
Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a driving record review, reference check, and a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint check. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should contact Lourdes Coles, Sr. Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (650) 522-7264. Do not upload any documents related to your request for accommodation in CalOpps. The policy of the City of San Mateo is to grant equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual preference, marital status or national origin. It is the intent and desire of the City of San Mateo that equal employment opportunity will be provided in recruiting, hiring, training, promoting, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment. The City of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).