The San Rafael Fire Department is seeking to establish an open and continuous Eligibility List for Firefighter-Paramedic to plan for upcoming retirements. The department will continue to refresh the continuous filing list and will use it as needed to fill vacancies throughout the year.
Please apply by 5:00 pm on March 11th for first consideration
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the electronic application. Questions may be directed to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The San Rafael Fire Department was established in 1874 as a 45-man voluntary fire company. Today, the department is an organization with 79 professionals trained in specialties including life safety emergency and non-emergency services in the areas of fire protection, technical rescue, emergency medical services, and disaster response.
Our Mission is to help, delivering exceptional public service from seven San Rafael neighborhood fire stations. Our effort to build a new public safety center in downtown San Rafael is well underway and construction begins soon! The project is a new, 44,000-square-foot Public Safety Center for fire, police and emergency services to replace the existing Fire Station 51 (Downtown Fire Station). The project includes a subterranean garage, public plaza and associated site and landscaping improvements. In addition, we are replacing two fire stations. Demolition is complete and our new Station 52 and Station 57 are expected to be up and running by Fall 2018. Improving our essential facilities will make San Rafael a safer place for our safety personnel and for the community overall.
Delivery of fire and rescue services is serious business and as such, we strive to provide the best public fire services available; a service that is capable, compassionate, predictable and sustainable. It’s an exciting time to become a part of our department. Come join our extraordinary team!
TESTING & SELECTION PROCESS:
The examination for this recruitment will consist of the following: application appraisal, written exam score, oral board interview, Fire Chief’s interview and background check including fingerprint clearance, polygraph, psychological exam, drug screen and pre-placement physical exam.
Candidates who apply by the first consideration deadline and meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for a CPS written exam tentatively scheduled for March 27th. Details will be provided at least 1 week in advance. Oral boards for this initial process are tentatively scheduled for the week of April 16th. who apply for this open and continuous recruitment after the March 11th deadline, and who meet the minimum qualification, are eligible to participate in a written exam at a later date.
In addition to a high school diploma or equivalent, 21 semester units of college coursework and a California Class C Driver’s License, you must meet the following requirements:
- The department requires a CPAT card dated within 6 months of each application review deadline. For first consideration on March 11th, candidates must have a CPAT card of completion dated on or after September 11, 2017; NO EXCEPTIONS. If you do not have a current CPAT card you may register for an upcoming test with FCTC. Exams are held in Livermore and Sacramento, as well as in Southern California.
- Completion of CA State Board of Fire Services Firefighter I curriculum (Academy graduate). One (1) year of full-time equivalent experience as a paid Firefighter is accepted in lieu of completion of the Firefighter I curriculum.
- Valid California Paramedic License with the ability to become accredited by the Marin County EMS Agency at the time of appointment.
Meet these qualifications? Please complete the CalOpps online application process. Note: you must attach items a, b & c to your application as ONE PDF file no larger than 2MB. For the complete job description please visit our website.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program, including:
- Marin County Employees Retirement Association (MCERA) with a defined retirement benefit of 2.7%@57
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan with monthly City contribution for 2018 of $733.39 for employee only; $1,173.42 for employee+1; $1,525.46 for family coverage. (Opt-out payment of $300). Flex contribution increases 3% every year (up to the CalPERS Kaiser premium)
- Retiree HRA: City contribution of 2% of top step Firefighter salary (matching required 2% employee contribution)
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid for member + family
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Deferred Comp (employee option)
- Uniform Pay & Gym Reimbursement
- Vacation, Sick and Bereavement leave as well as 13 paid Holidays
- Eligible for 2.5% EMT Pay & up to 5% Educational Incentive (after probationary year)
For more details, please see the San Rafael Firefighters’ Association MOU.
INFORMATION SESSION & STATION VISITS:
Interested candidates are invited to an Information Session tentatively scheduled for March 27th in the City Hall Council Chambers located at 1400 Fifth Avenue in San Rafael. SRFD staff will cover preparation for the oral board process and what the department is looking for in a candidate. Attendees will also have the opportunity to learn about the City in general and about issues facing fire service today. Details to follow.
To schedule a Station Visit, or for specific job-related questions, please contact the San Rafael Fire Department directly at (415) 485-3304.
For questions about the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.