Child Care Instructor I (Preschool)
Full-Time (35 hours per week)
$2,192 - $2,665 per month
Plus excellent benefits
OPEN UNTIL FILLED: Applications received will be reviewed on a weekly basis
Community Services in the City of San Rafael is recruiting for a full-time Child Care Instructor I position in their Preschool Programming. Under the supervision of the Child Care Center Director, provide developmental care and supervision to children enrolled in the childcare program; implement age appropriate curriculum for children; establish and maintain supportive relationships with children and parents; and other related duties as assigned.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Assist in planning and implementing age appropriate curriculum, activities and events.
- Provide continuous supervision to children in day-to-day activities; ensures health and safety of children.
- Maintain childcare center, rooms and play areas in a clean, orderly and safe condition; sets up rooms and areas for various activities such as lunch, naps, games, etc.
- Monitor behavioral patterns and assists with assessment and child development profiles.
- Meet with parents as necessary or requested.
- Perform lead work responsibilities over Child Care Aides.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Stages and phases of Child Development.
- Appropriate disciplinary techniques.
- Age-Appropriate group curriculum and activities.
- Appropriate child guidance methods.
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Deal effectively with children and act as appropriate adult role model.
- Instruct children in large and small group activities.
- Accept direction from the supervisor.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others. Work well in a team with other instructors and aides.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Work as scheduled.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of six (6) units of Early Childhood Education (ECE) courses (core classes) and currently working toward completion of twelve (12) units of ECE courses.
- Six-months working with children.
- Prefer AA in recreation, education, or related field.
- Department of Justice and FBI fingerprint clearance
- Prefer possession of a valid California Driver’s License
Must be able to perform physical activities such as but not limited to: lifting or carrying children or heavy items (up to 40 lbs) unassisted, reaching, bending, standing, or walking. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. A City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-placement physical examination, drug screen, a background check, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go online to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the interview process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $2,192 - $2,665 monthly, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees – 2.7% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- Tier 2 Employees – 2% @ 55 formula, highest three years of compensation.
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $745.00; Employee+1 - $1,087.68 Employee+Family - $1,115.49; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp
- Annual Leave: Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service); 12 days per year; 11 holidays.
- And more......