$3,963 - $4,817 per month
Plus excellent benefits
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Apply by Friday, December 14, 2018
The City of San Rafael Community Services Department is seeking a full-time Custodian. Under the supervision of the Recreation Supervisor, the Custodian ensures that the Community Services Department facilities are clean and safe for department classes, programs, and rentals. The Custodian is responsible for performing routine cleaning and maintenance duties, maintaining inventory of supplies, providing direction to facility attendants, supporting department staff, and providing customer service.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Assists Senior Recreation Supervisor with hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating seasonal personnel; assigns work and provides direction as necessary to facility attendant team. Serves as the point of contact for part-time facility attendants and oversees court appointed community service workers and volunteers.
- Opens and closes facilities, sets up tables, equipment, chairs, bleachers, A/V equipment for events, classes, programs, and rentals.
- Removes trash from parking lot and surrounding park facilities daily.
- Cleans and disinfects rooms, hallways, lobbies, walls, furniture, counters, equipment, restrooms, and other work areas regularly.
- Monitors condition of Department facilities and reports any safety, repair and cleaning concerns appropriately to Recreation Supervisor, Facility Maintenance, or contractor if unable to address issues personally.
- Occasional touch up painting, minimal woodwork, and deep cleaning is completed by the Custodian.
- Maintains equipment and coordinates required inspections (including but not limited to maintenance and inspection of machinery, kitchen appliances, fire extinguishers, AED equipment, light fixtures, tables, chairs, and program equipment).
- Inventories and orders equipment and supplies needed for facility operations (including but not limited to restroom paper supplies, cleaning supplies, and equipment).
- Sweeps, mops, and vacuums floors regularly.
- Scrubs, oils/waxes and polishes floors as needed.
- Deep cleans carpets as needed.
- Ensures windows are cleaned regularly.
- Dusts and polishes woodwork, lighting fixtures, surfaces and equipment routinely.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies as needed.
- Empties and cleans garbage and recycling cans and ensures proper disposal.
- Replenishes bathroom supplies and replaces light bulbs as needed.
- Transports small equipment, tools, or supplies between departments, City Hall, and local businesses.
- Works at the front desk performing reception duties in relief of other staff members.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Methods, materials and equipment used in the maintenance of buildings and grounds.
- Written and spoken English
- Ability to speak Spanish is desirable.
To be eligible for this position you must have the ability to:
- Use a variety of cleaning equipment and materials.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Follow written and oral directions.
- Utilize basic Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Works evenings, weekends and some holidays and respond appropriately to a call out.
- Provide a high level of customer service.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Willingness to obtain First Aid and CPR certification within six (6) months of employment.
- Some custodial experience is preferred.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in evenings or weekends and inside environmental conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoors weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment can vary.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, background check, driving record check, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org or follow this link: . Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. For more information about the City of San Rafael, please visit www.cityofsanrafael.org
First round interviews are tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, December 19, 2018 for those candidates who are selected to move forward.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $47,556 - $57,804 Annually, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $757.96; Employee+1 - $1,433.74; Employee+Family - $1,571.09; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp
- Annual Leave: Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays and 2 floating holidays.
- And more......