The San Rafael and Marinwood Fire Departments announce a joint recruitment to establish an eligibility list that can be used by both departments to fill existing and future vacancies. Applicants only need to submit ONE application and participate in ONE assessment center to be eligible for consideration for the both departments. Candidates will be referred to the appropriate agency based on the qualifications & requirements for each position. Please visit the San Rafael and Marinwood websites for department specific information including benefits and job descriptions.
To apply for this position, you must have successfully passed the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) Entry-Level Firefighter Written Exam and be on the FCTC Statewide Eligibility List. If you are not on the list, please visit the FCTC website for more information on how to register for their testing process.
San Rafael Firefighter-Paramedic
$6,233.85-$6,926.50 during probation
$7,768.43-$9,261.13 after 12-month probation
$6,012.60 during probation
$6,372.43-$7,610.03 after 12-month probation
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 11, 2019 by 5:00 pm
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the electronic application. The San Rafael and the Marinwood Fire Departments cannot accept responsibility for notifying candidates of incomplete applications. It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure the application and required documents are submitted. NO PHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED TO VERIFY ATTACHMENTS OR PROVIDE OTHER ASSISTANCE WITH APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE JOINT FIREFIGHTER-PARAMEDIC RECRUITMENT
Candidates must possess a High school diploma or GED and 21 semester units of college coursework.
Candidates must submit copies of the following documents in order for their application to be considered complete. All documents must be uploaded with the online application as ONE (1) PDF file no larger than 2MB:
- CPAT card dated on or after February 11, 2018. Information on the CPAT is available at http://www.cffjac.org/jac/cpat/index.cfm.
- Proof of completion of CA State Board of Fire Services Firefighter I curriculum. One (1) year of experience as a paid Firefighter is accepted in lieu of the Firefighter I curriculum.
- Valid California Paramedic License or ability to obtain prior to appointment.
- Valid California Class C Driver’s License. Must have satisfactory driving record.
ONLY documents listed above (a-d) should be attached to the application. Human Resources will NOT accept faxed, hand delivered, mailed or emailed copies of required documents. Do NOT submit an application without the required attachments. Applications that do not include the required documents will NOT be considered. Applications that include more than the required documents may not be considered.
ORIENTATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
An orientation for interested candidates will be held on Wednesday February 13th from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm in the Council Chambers of San Rafael City Hall located at 1400 Fifth Avenue, San Rafael. Applicants should RSVP to email@example.com no later than February 11thth.
The Selection Process shall consist of three phases. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for this recruitment or during the selection process, please contact the City of San Rafael Human Resources department.
- Application Review: Applications are accepted online only and must be submitted prior to the closing time of the job announcement. A detailed review of each application and attachments, as submitted, will be conducted. Applicants MUST include ALL required documents as outlined above in “Requirements”. Faxes, emails, postmarks, and hand deliveries will not be accepted.
Our online application system is provided by CalOpps. If you have problems while applying online, please visit the FAQ section on the CalOpps website. Please note that when you have successfully submitted the online application you will receive an e-mail notification from CalOpps. If you do not receive confirmation within 1 day of applying please check your spam folder. You should also log-in to the CalOpps website to confirm that you have actually completed the application and not just created a profile.
- Firefighting Assessment Panel: The firefighter assessment panel will assess the candidates’ ability to understand and apply manipulative firefighting concepts and principles to solve problems. This evaluation may involve lifting up to 25 pounds. Any necessary personal protective equipment will be provided
- Paramedic Assessment Panel: The paramedic assessment panel will assess the candidates’ ability to understand and apply basic paramedic skills and knowledge. This may include, but is not limited to medication administration, patient assessment, cardiac rhythm interpretation, pharmacology, protocol knowledge and decision making.
- Oral Board Interview: The oral board panel will evaluate candidates based on the following dimensions, among others: Preparation, Impact / Professional Image, Interpersonal Skills / Communication, Decision-Making / Judgment, Customer Service Orientation, Community Awareness. Candidates must receive a passing score of 70% to pass this phase of the recruitment process and be placed on the Eligibility List. Oral boards are tentatively scheduled for the week of March 4, 2019.
Candidates who successfully complete all phases of the recruitment process shall be placed on the Joint Recruitment Eligibility List, which will be valid for 12 months from the date of the list, or until such time as all eligible candidates have been considered for appointment. Placement on the list will be based on a candidate’s total overall score. Final appointments will be made from the list based on the Department interviews. Therefore, placement on the eligibility list is not a guarantee of appointment, and appointments may not be made in strict rank order.
After passing the departmental interview, a prospective candidate must successfully complete a thorough background review including fingerprinting, criminal history check and polygraph test. Upon a conditional offer of employment, the prospective candidate must successfully complete a psychiatric evaluation and a drug screen and pre-employment physical exam.
To schedule a station visit please call (415) 485-3304.
For questions about the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.