Fixed-Term Administrative Specialist
$23.00 per hour
Full-Time/Limited Benefits Available
Deadline to apply: Apply by Monday, June 10, 2019 for first consideration
The City of San Rafael Fire Department is hiring for the position of Fixed-Term Administrative Specialist. This position performs a variety of highly responsible, confidential and complex administrative duties; participates and coordinates office functions in support of department goals and objectives; assists with confidential and sensitive projects; and provides information and assistance to the public regarding departmental polices. Continued appointment in this position is contingent upon funding and job performance. This is an “at will” position. Fixed-Term appointments may be made for up to a three-year period. This is a temporary position working under general supervision. Duties shall include, but are not limited to:
Duties: Provides responsible work on complex administrative assignments. Researches and compiles a variety of informational materials, types drafts and finished documents including confidential materials, brief instructions, or written materials. Organizes and maintains files and records, schedules, appointments, and arranges for facilities and supplies. Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls, and/or taking messages or referring the caller to the appropriate staff member.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Must have business letter writing and English grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills.
- Knowledge of standard office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of operation of common office equipment.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be courteous and professional.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from high school or equivalent AND
- Two years of responsible secretarial or office administrative experience.
Qualified applicants will be interviewed by the hiring department and the most qualified applicants will be subject to a reference check, which will include fingerprinting.
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. To file an application on line go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “City of San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application:
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary for this position is $23.00 per hour and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System). Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of their salary to the retirement plan.
- Health/Dental Insurance: Pro-rated based on FTE worked up to a maximum of $600 per month towards health and dental insurance premiums.
- Sick Leave: Twelve (12) days of paid sick leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Vacation: Ten (10) days per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Other Leave: Eleven (11) City holidays and two (2) floating holidays.