San Rafael Public Works Department
Part-Time (up to 28 hours per week)
$20.50 per hour
Application Deadline: Apply by Monday, June 24, 2019 for first consideration
The City of San Rafael Public Works Department is seeking an Intern to work part-time (Up to 4 days/28 hours per week. The Dean Allison Public Service Internship was created to honor Dean Allison, the City’s Public Works Director from September 2015 to March 2016 before his life was tragically cut short. He embraced the ideals of public service and transparency in his brief time with the City. Dean focused on the needs of the public and worked effectively with individuals and groups throughout San Rafael to respond decisively to a broad spectrum of needs both large and small in a creative and community focused way. This internship celebrates his life and his time serving the citizens of San Rafael.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting to develop and implement the City’s new sidewalk maintenance program, including a new tree ordinance.
- Assisting to develop a plan to seek funding to dredge the San Rafael Canal.
- Preparing written reports regarding program activities.
- Creating, updating and auditing spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel.
- Conducting research and analysis of federal, state and local laws related to special projects.
- Compiling information, preparing documents and public education materials.
- Participating in other public works programs and activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduated or currently enrolled in the 3rd year of a Bachelor's degree program or higher in an Engineering, Business, Public Administration, Environmental Science or related program.
- Ability to multitask and stay organized.
- Proficient computer efficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to demonstrate characteristics of listening, flexibility, follow-through, problem solving, community-orientation, and identifying “win-win” solutions.
For a previous intern’s experience, please follow this link:
Interview Process: The most qualified applicants will be invited to interview following the application closing date. Please note on the application the preferred method of communication, whether by phone or email.
Application Process: City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. To file an application on-line go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “City of San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-19870371
Contact: For questions regarding this internship please contact Talia Smith (email@example.com).