The City of San Rafael invites applicants for
FIREFIGHTER-PARAMEDICAnnual salary for entry-level candidates is $76,302 - $84,780
$84,780 during probationary year for candidates with 1-2 years of relevant experience
$95,085 - $113,356 after probationary year
$102,216 - $121,857 after probationary year w/incentive pays
Read the full job announcement. Important dates:
- Monday, September 16th @ 6:30 pm - Orientation for interested candidates at Station 52 located at 52 Union Street in San Rafael.
- Wednesday, October 2nd - The City of San Rafael will be hosting an FCTC written exam at the Albert J Boro Community Center located at 50 Canal Street in San Rafael. Please register for the written exam at https://www.fctconline.org/candidates/upcoming-test-schedule/.
- October 15th & 17th Oral Boards for eligible candidates
Interested candidates are encouraged to schedule a Station visit by calling (415) 485-3304.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The San Rafael Fire Department was established in 1874 and has grown to 79 professionals trained in the specialties of fire prevention, technical rescue, emergency medical services, disaster response and community preparedness. We strive to provide the best fire and EMS services possible; a service that is capable, compassionate, predictable, and sustainable.
We are looking for firefighters whose values align with our departmental commitment to respect, integrity, compassion, equality and fairness. It’s an exciting time to become a part of our department.
Come join our extraordinary team!
Candidates will be asked to provide proof of the following prior to full background (early December 2019):
- CPAT card dated on or after September 22, 2018. To register for an upcoming exam, visit the FCTC website.
- Completion of CA State Board of Fire Services Firefighter I curriculum. 1 year of experience as a paid Firefighter is accepted in lieu of the curriculum.
- Valid California Paramedic License or ability to obtain prior to appointment (expected appointment by 1/16/20).
The Firefighter-Paramedic protects life and property by performing firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials and fire prevention duties. The position maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities.
We are looking for firefighters whose values align with our departmental commitment to respect, integrity, compassion, equality and fairness. Our six San Rafael neighborhood fire stations deliver exceptionally courteous, compassionate, and professional public service. Our firefighters excel in their whole-hearted efforts to help their community and their fellow firefighters. Our workforce is diverse, as is our city. We work closely with multiple service agencies to ensure we are meeting the unique needs of the multicultural community of San Rafael.
Our department supports a behavioral health program consisting of IAFF trained Peer Support members, as well as members trained in critical incident stress management. The culture established by our personnel is cited as a key contributor to what makes the San Rafael Fire Department a great place to work. With over half of our line personnel having been hired within the past decade, there is a major focus on physical fitness, training and an overall excitement about learning the art and trade that is firefighting and emergency medicine.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program, including:
- 2.7% @ 57 Marin County Employees’ Retirement (MCERA) benefit for new members. MCERA is reciprocal with other 1937 Act retirement systems and CalPERS. Candidates with previous service from reciprocal agencies may be eligible for 3% @ 55.
- Health Insurance (CalPERS plans) monthly contribution as follows: $733.39 for employee only; $1,173.42 for 2-party coverage; $1,525.46 for family coverage.
- 2% of top step Firefighter-Paramedic salary towards a Retiree Health Savings Account (City match)
- City paid Dental Insurance (up to family coverage)
- City paid Life and LTD
- $1,135/year Uniform Allowance, plus $160 boot allowance every 2 years
- Annual Leave: 120-300 hours of vacation, depending on years of service; 144 hours of sick leave; 13 holidays
- Up to 7.5% additional Incentive Pays (above base salary)