(Two Positions Available)
20 hours a week
$14.38 - $17.49 per hour, plus excellent pro-rated benefits
Flexible work schedule to accommodate school needs
Limited Term Appointment (not to exceed 3 Years)
Additional Pay Incentives:
Shift Differential (3%-5%)
Bilingual Pay (Conversational-2.5%; Full-5%; Fluent-10%)
Uniform and boots paid for by the Police Department
LAST DAY TO APPLY: Open and Continuous (Applications reviewed weekly)
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for the position of Police Cadet (2 positions available). This is an excellent job opportunity for students interested in law enforcement. Under direct supervision, this entry level, limited term, civilian position provides general and specific information and assistance to the public. The position also provides logistical assistance to all police department functions. The primary assignments for the Cadet position are crime prevention, patrol support, and records/front office support.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Maintains inventory of supplies and equipment
- Photocopies documents, files reports and manages additional work requests
- Uses personal computers and software applications for data entry and records maintenance
- Ensures proper calibration and maintenance of technical equipment and instruments
- Cleans and maintains work areas and machinery
- Assists with vehicle fleet cleaning and maintenance
- Performs related duties as required
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Basic office practices and procedures
- City and Department policies and procedures
- Information technology, personal computers and related software applications
- Correct English usage including spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Alphabetical and numeric filing systems
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Deal tactfully and effectively with the public
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
- Maintain accurate records and files
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Process documents, maintain accurate records and files, and perform routine clerical duties
- Operate large vehicles, move heavy equipment, and tow equipment and trailers
- Use a computer to prepare documents and spreadsheets
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with the public and fellow employees
- Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately
- Work evenings and weekends
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Some related experience preferred.
- Must be able to meet City of San Rafael Police Department requirements for security clearance.
- Must accept “limited term” appointment requirement as a condition of employment.
- Must possess a valid California drivers’ license and have a safe driving record.
- Preference given to college students preparing for a career in law enforcement.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to grasp, finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, bend squat, climb, kneel and twist. The employee must frequently lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift up to 75 pounds. The employee must occasionally move or carry up to 100+ pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal, written examination, oral board interview examination and/or performance examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-placement physical examination and an in depth background check and fingerprinting.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 no later than three (3) calendar days before the test date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $14.38 - $17.49 Hourly, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including: (Benefits are pro-rated based on hours worked/FTE)
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System). Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of their salary to the retirement plan.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $758.08; Employee + 1 - $1,517.19; Employee + Family - $1,972.45; Waive Coverage Cash Back Option - $300).
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance: $5,000 basic
- Deferred Comp
- Sick Leave: Earn at the rate of 8 hours per month.
- Vacation: Thirteen (13) days per year.