$6,209 - $7,925 per month
Plus excellent benefits
Additional Pay Incentives:
Shift Differential (3%-5%)
Bilingual Pay (Conversational-2.5%; Full-5%; Fluent-10%)
Uniform Allowance - $325.00 (June/December)
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Open Until Filled (Applications will be reviewed on a weekly basis)JOB DESCRIPTION:
This is a non-sworn, civilian training classification to be used while incumbent is attending a certified P.O.S.T. Basic Police Academy. Incumbent in this classification receives the same employee benefits as Police Officers, with the exception of being placed in the “Miscellaneous” retirement category until successful completion of a designated police academy, and as a civilian employee,
will not be covered by government code sections 4850 and 3300 through 3311. Upon successful completion of an academy, incumbent shall be sworn as a Police Officer, placed in the safety retirement category and begin an 18-month probationary period as a Police Officer on the date of swearing in.Job Related and Essential Qualifications:
- High school graduate or its equivalent.
- Completion of 30 semester (or equivalent quarter) units from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Applicant must submit evidence of a P.O.S.T. Certified Academy Entrance Written Examination (aka PELLET-B) with a score equal or greater than a T-42 with the application to be considered for this recruitment.
- Applicant must submit evidence of a passing score on the P.O.S.T. Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) physical agility test with the application to be considered for this recruitment.
- If selected, the applicant must be currently enrolled in a POST-certified Basic Police Academy prior to hiring and must remain enrolled in the police academy to maintain employment.
- Must be capable of performing the full range of work assigned to a Police Officer free from physical, mental or emotional restrictions, which would adversely impact job performance.
- All vision must be corrected to 20/20.
- Must be free from color blindness and have a normal field of vision.
- Normal hearing acuity.
- Weight in proportion to height, age and frame.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age minimum by completion of Police Academy.
- California Government Code Section 1031(a) requires that Police Officers be citizens of the United States. California Government Code Section 1031.5 requires that permanent resident aliens who desire to be employed as Police Officers be eligible for and have applied for citizenship.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates must detail related education and experience on the online application since the application will be used to select candidates for testing. The examination for this recruitment will consist of any or all of the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. NOTE: Prior to appointment, the selected candidate must submit to and pass a P.O.S.T. approved background investigation and polygraph/CVSA examination. On a conditional job offer, the candidate must complete and pass a pre-placement psychological and medical examination, including drug screening prior to appointment. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. Or, to apply, follow this link: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-19921092
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $74,508 – $95,100 Annually, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees – 2.7% @ at 55 formula, highest single year of compensation.
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or Classic employee with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2.7% at 57 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $758.08; Employee+1 - $1,517.19 Employee+Family - $1,972.45; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life Insurance/Accidental Death & Dismemberment: $5,000 each
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premium
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp: Employee option
- Annual Leave: Vacation ranges from 10 to 25 days (depending on years of service), 12 days of Sick Leave, 13 Holidays.
- And more......