San Rafael Public Works Department
$112,404 - $136,620 Annually (DOE)
Plus excellent benefits
DEADLINE TO APPLY: For first consideration, apply by Tuesday, October 29, 2019
Under general direction of the Assistant Public Works Director/City Engineer, the position is responsible for the City’s most complex civil engineering projects in support of the Capital Improvement Program for the City of San Rafael. The Senior Civil Engineer will apply the broad parameters of departmental policy guidelines in order to execute the planning, design, construction, and project management of complex capital improvements; supervises the work of professional and sub-professional engineering personnel; performs professional field and office civil engineering work in connection with a variety of public work projects; and provides technical assistance to the Assistant Public Works Director.
The class is distinguishable from the Associate Civil Engineer which is the journey level classification in the engineering job class series. The Senior Civil Engineer is a supervisory job classification belonging to the Western Council of Engineers bargaining unit and serves as a technical advisor to professional engineering staff, project leader on assignments requiring considerable professional knowledge, and exercises substantial initiative, judgement and expertise in supervising specialized engineering program outcomes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed and other related duties may be assigned.
- Plans, supervises and performs professional engineering work in the design and construction of all aspects of public capital projects, including but not limited to Streets, City Owned Property and Facilities, Drainage and Traffic projects and related facilities.
- Supervises the preparation of plans, project specifications, field inspections, and other engineering work performed by staff members and consultants.
- Manages complex construction projects and consultants; and meets with public and private engineers, architects, contractors and owners to explain and discuss projects.
- Responds to inquiries or complaints from staff, the public, and provides technical information to internal and outside Agency staff, City Council and the public.
- Prepares comprehensive technical and staff reports in verbal and written form to the City Council and Department Directors.
- Coordinates engineering activities and capital projects with other divisions, departments and agencies.
- Prepares, reviews, and approves engineering drawings, plans and specifications and other legal documents for the City Engineer.
- Ensures compliance with the Public Contracts Code, Federal and State laws, local ordinances and regulations.
- Delivers federally funded transportation projects in conformance with the Caltrans Local Assistance Procedures Manual (LAPM).
- Reviews and approves progress payments to consultants, contractors and vendors.
- May serve as a witness in court; may represent the department at public hearings and before the City Council and various commissions.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Principles, practices and techniques of municipal civil engineering in order to manage projects from inception to completion.
- Principle, practices, methodology of employee supervision, including work planning reviewing and evaluating.
- General design and construction methods related to pump stations, streets, storm drains, buildings, parks and other public works projects.
- Understanding of Laws and codes related to civil engineering, accessibility codes, and projects related to civil engineering and traffic engineering.
- Principles of organization, administration, budget and supervision.
- Personal computers and related engineering software including but not limited to AutoCAD design and drafting.
- Plan, organize, supervise, review and evaluate the work of staff and effectively recommend selection of staff, disciplinary actions and other personnel matters; and train staff in work procedures.
- Analyze budgetary and staffing needs and make sound independent recommendations.
- Effectively implement new policies and procedures.
- Apply principles of logic and scientific reasoning to develop and evaluate alternative courses of action and determine appropriate solutions.
- Read, understand, and interpret complex technical and legal documents, maps technical drawings and other engineering material related to hydraulics, soil mechanics, surveying, traffic systems, and other municipal engineering related subjects.
- Effectively communicate to convey technical information and give instructions.
- Listen attentively, conduct and record clearly and concisely with technical accuracy.
- Adjusts to workload changes and work under stress to meet deadlines
- Maintains effective working relationships with all levels of representatives from governmental and private agencies, construction and consultant contractors, coworkers and the general public.
- Prepare plans, drawings, specifications, diagrams and make sketches.
- Use a PC and related engineering software.
- Evaluate and resolve engineering problems.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill and abilities. A typical way to obtain these would be:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. Five (5) years of increasingly responsible post degree engineering experience managing complex construction and maintenance projects and consultants. A master’s degree may substitute for 1 year of post degree engineering experience.
- Registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of California.
- Valid drivers’ license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in evenings or on weekends and indoor conditions and regularly works near video/computer displays. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and uses personal vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, background check, driving record, drug screen, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-19926030
For more information about the City of San Rafael, please visit www.cityofsanrafael.org.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $112,404 - $136,620 Annually DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $835.94; Employee+1 - $1,623.22; Employee+Family - $1,761.19; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp: Participation is voluntary. City contributes 1%.
- Annual Leave: Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays and 2 floating holidays.
- And more......