Fixed-Term Street Sweeper Operator
$20.00 - $29.72 per hour (Depending upon experience)
Full-Time/Limited Benefits Available
Deadline to apply: Apply by Monday, Monday, October 28, 2019 for first consideration
The City of San Rafael Public Works Department is hiring for the position of Fixed-Term Street Sweeper Operator to maintain its commitment to clean streets and stormwater runoff as a member agency of the Marin County Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program (MCSTOPPP). This position will make a difference in the San Rafael community by preventing trash and other debris from entering the stormwater system (i.e. local creeks and watersheds) that eventually discharge into the San Francisco Bay. Continued appointment in this position is contingent upon funding and job performance. This is an “at will” position. Fixed-Term appointments may be made for up to a three-year period. This is a temporary position working under general supervision. Duties shall include, but are not limited to:
Duties: Safely operates a motorized sweeper and other motorized maintenance/construction equipment on an assigned route; clean streets gutters, and reports large debris on streets and rights of way; respond to traffic accidents; clean debris and hazardous materials spills; report illegally parked vehicles, hazardous conditions, road damage, damaged curbs and sidewalks, downed signage and signal malfunctions; perform daily equipment inspections and preventative maintenance; make minor adjustments and repairs; perform minor equipment repairs.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of City streets, California Vehicle Code and traffic laws.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, safe operation of street sweepers and heavy equipment/vehicles.
- Knowledge of street sweeper/heavy equipment maintenance and repair methods and practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to operate power/hand tools, motorized equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to detect minor mechanical defects and minor repairing.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions and communicate effectively.
- Ability to work well with others and maintain professionalism at all times.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent AND
- Two (2) years of experience operating a motorized sweeper or other heavy equipment/construction vehicles, OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must possess a valid California Class “B” Commercial Drivers License with air-brake and tanker endorsement at time of appointment. The Class B license must be maintained throughout employments.
City of San Rafael application is required. Qualified applicants will be interviewed by the hiring department and the most qualified applicants will be subject to a reference check, which will include fingerprinting.
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. To file an application on line go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “City of San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application:
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary for this position is $20.00 - $29.72 (DOE) per hour and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System). Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of their salary to the retirement plan.
- Health Insurance: Receives $600 towards the cost of health insurance premiums.
- Sick Leave: Twelve (12) days of paid sick leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Vacation: Ten (10) days per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Other Leave: Eleven (11) City holidays and two (2) floating holidays.