$30.00 - $46.54 per hour (DOE)
(not to exceed 1,000 hours worked in a fiscal year)
Deadline to apply: Applications will be reviewed on a weekly basis; position will remain open until filled
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Park Ranger (part-time/temporary, not to exceed 1,000 hours worked in a fiscal year). This position enforces law, regulations, and policies in public parks, city-owned open space and natural preserve. This is a “sworn” position.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Patrols assigned areas in radio-equipped vehicle, on bicycle or on foot.
- Answers calls relating to open space/park area violations.
- Identifies unlawful encampments and coordinates the removal of property.
- Provides information pertaining to park use, safety requirements, and points of interest.
- Directs traffic, investigates accidents, and patrols area to prevent fires, vandalism, and theft.
- Cautions, evicts, or apprehends violators of laws and regulations. Issue citations.
- Testifies in court in connection with prosecution of violators.
- Directs or participates in first aid and rescue activities.
- Performs minor maintenance and improvement of park facilities and enforces standards of cleanliness and sanitation.
- Compiles specified park use statistics, keep records, and prepares reports of area activities.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Department policy and procedure
- Municipal and state codes
- Radio dispatch equipment
- Park maintenance tools and techniques.
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Work effectively with park maintenance personnel and the general public
- Understand and follow directions and interpret laws and regulations
- Perform basic park maintenance
- Maintain physical standards of the police department
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience as a full-time sworn police officer
- Must be able to meet the current California P.O.S.T. requirements of a Police Officer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. NOTE: Prior to appointment, candidate must submit to and pass a P.O.S.T. approved background investigation and polygraph/CVSA examination, and pre-placement psychological and medical examination, which includes a drug screening.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the oral board date.