Community Development Department
Salary Range: $7,783 - $9,934 per month
Plus excellent benefits
Are you skilled in housing policy and finance?
Do you want to work in a community that is proactively pursuing ways to promote new housing and protect the existing housing stock?
Are you interested in reducing bureaucracy and empowering staff to excel?
If so, please consider this exciting opportunity. . .
San Rafael employees are encouraged to bring new ideas to every day work challenges, and find it rewarding to work in a friendly and collaborative environment.
Keep reading if this interests you!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Monday, February 15, 2021 for first consideration
The City of San Rafael is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Housing Analyst to perform a variety of responsible, complex, professional duties specific to housing policy, housing finance, and long-range planning. Work assigned may be in a specific program area (e.g., overseeing the mandated Housing Element update), a specific project, research and analysis, and other housing and long-range planning duties. This position will report to and work closely with the Community Development Director and Management team to develop strategies for removing barriers to housing production and accommodating the City’s regional housing needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned as determined by the Director and Management team:
- Manage and oversee the update of the City’s Housing Element to comply with State law.
- Develop housing and land use policies.
- Monitor housing policy grant opportunities, prepare grant proposals, and monitor and manage funding agreements.
- Implement new or modified housing and General Plan programs to meet the community housing goals and objectives.
- Work closely with community groups and organizations in public workshops and meetings.
- Assist in developing and administering housing and rent protection policies.
- Administer and manage the City’s inclusionary housing program including current deed-restricted housing units and below-market rate rental and for-sale housing agreements.
- Assist in long-range planning projects including potential Specific/Precise Plan preparation for two Priority Development Areas.
- Principles and practices associated with administration, organization, and management.
- Research methods, techniques, statistical and other work measures.
- Housing economics and financing, particularly affordable housing.
- Work independently in the completion of assignments.
- Analyze and evaluate data.
- Ability to analyze complex policy issues and explain issues and solutions to key stakeholders.
- Prepare and present clear and concise reports, both orally and in writing. Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with others.
- Provide effective functional or project leadership.
- Effectively plan, organize, and prioritize work, establish, and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
The position is expected to work in partnership with the development review team and all other departments in implementing the City’s goals. This position may also provide support to the development review team. The ideal candidate for this position is excited about establishing partnerships within the organization and with other local, regional, and state agencies to find solutions for safe and affordable housing.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in public administration, city planning, business administration, or a related field and three years of progressively responsible analytical, administrative, or managerial experience. At least two years of relevant experience with housing and land use policy work. Experience preparing housing elements and/or other housing-related ordinances, programs, and studies. Government experience is desirable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of geometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardizations exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid California Driver’s License.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Vision abilities required include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process.
The examination process may include any or all of the following: Application appraisal, oral board examination, and written examination. The passing point for the oral and/or written examination is 70%.
Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a background check and fingerprinting.
To file an application, go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies.” Select “City of San Rafael.” For more information on the City of San Rafael, go to www.cityofsanrafael.org. Follow this link to submit your application materials: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20081346
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at 415-485-3474 no later than seven (7) calendar days before the interview and/or test date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary for this position is $7,783 - $9,934 per month and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System). Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of their salary to the retirement plan.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan (Employee Only - $634.57; Employee + 1 - $1,269.13; Employee + Family - $1,649.88)
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid for employee and dependents.
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid for employee and dependents.
- Administrative Leave: Ten (10) days of administrative leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Sick Leave: Twelve (12) days of paid sick leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Vacation: Ten (10) days per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Other Leave: Eleven (11) City holidays and two (2) floating holidays.