$7,287 - $8,857 per month
(The salary above reflects a 5% furlough reduction for FY 20/21)
Plus Excellent Benefits
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Apply by Monday, March 15, 2021 for first consideration
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Senior Planner. This position is responsible for the program, administration, and the performance of a comprehensive planning/economic development division; perform professional current and/or advanced planning work; and supervise the work of professional and support staff members.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Supervises professional and/or technical staff engaged in City planning activities.
- Establishes priorities and defining processing requirements.
- Responds to questions and issues raised by the City staff, developers, contractors, architects, engineers, and the general public; interpret the General Plan, zoning code and related ordinances or City regulations.
- Conducts research and special studies.
- Coordinates projects and activities with other City departments and outside agencies.
- Manages consulting contracts for planning projects.
- Makes presentations before community groups, Boards, Commissions and/or the City Council.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of planning and the methods used in the implementation of such plans.
- Current trends in federal, state and local planning.
- Socioeconomic and physical resource aspects related to assigned programs.
- Effective supervisory methods and techniques.
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Prepare and analyze various professional studies.
- Prepare written reports.
- Make presentations to committees, community groups, the Planning Commission & City Council.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Provide leadership to staff.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from a recognized college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Planning or related field, AND
- Five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional planning experience.
- A Master’s degree in Planning may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Public agency experience desirable.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal, written examination, oral board interview examination and/or performance examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-placement physical examination, drug screen, in depth background check, a psychological exam and fingerprinting.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the oral board date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $87,444 - $106,284 Annually DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3-year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $780.93; Employee+1 - $1,477.20; Employee+Family - $1,618.71; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp: Participation is voluntary. City contributes 1%.
- Annual Leave: Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays, 2 days personal leave per fiscal year and 2 floating holidays
- Bilingual Pay: Eligible to receive $150 per month for certified fluency.
- And more......