Fixed Term-Full-Time (up to 3 years)
Salary Range: $7,783 - $9,934 per month
Plus excellent benefits
Do you have a strategic mindset and like helping people overcome obstacles?
Do you want to work on helping businesses understand the resources available to them?
Are you interested in reducing bureaucracy and empowering staff to excel?
If so, please consider this exciting opportunity. . .
San Rafael employees are encouraged to bring new ideas to every day work challenges, and find it rewarding to work in a friendly and collaborative environment.
Keep reading if this interests you!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Friday, March 19, 2021, for first consideration
The City of San Rafael is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Policy & Program Analyst (Fixed-Term/Full-Time) to perform professional administrative work in a variety of program areas. To manage, coordinate and oversee assigned programs including the development and administration of program
budgets, the negotiation and administration of contracts, the preparation of grant proposals, and the preparation of reports and recommendations; to provide employee and/or public information and education regarding assigned programs. Individuals who are selected to interview and pass the oral board successfully will be placed on an eligibility list to fill future vacancies.
Although the City currently has one position to fill, the City may be hiring for this same job classification (Policy & Program Analyst) in departments throughout the City of San Rafael in the coming months. Therefore, all who meet the minimum requirements for this job should apply.
This current position reports to the Economic Development & Innovation Department director and the position would be working directly on the City’s economic development program, including business retention and outreach, economic resiliency planning, and relationship building. This position will also assist in the development of strategies to support business recovery and economic vitality for the City of San Rafael. Work assigned may be in a specific program area and/or specific projects, and programmatic research and analysis.
The position is expected to work in partnership with other city departments in implementing the City’s goals. This position will also provide support to the City’s Together San Rafael innovation initiative. The ideal candidate for this position is excited about establishing partnerships within the organization and with other local, regional, and state partners to promote economic development and community economic resiliency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES FOR this position include the following. Other duties may be assigned as determined by the Director.
- Perform a variety of responsible and technical administrative and analytical assignments.
- Assist in formulating programs policies, goals and procedures; collect and compile relevant data supporting recommendations.
- Conduct surveys and perform research and statistical analyses as required; prepare related reports.
- Analyzes issues and prepares reports for submission to the Department Director or designee.
- Coordinates the implementation of assigned programs, policies and projects.
- Prepares comprehensive written reports regarding program activities.
- Work closely with community groups and organizations in public workshops and meetings as needed.
- Provide budget and invoice processing support to the department.
- Participate and support the City’s Together San Rafael innovation initiative.
- Perform other duties as required.
Economic Development – Program Analyst Responsibilities: (The duties below are specific to the position in the Economic Development Department.)
- Assist with the City’s economic recovery work including helping to develop a strategy recovery plan.
- Help provide business retention and promotional support to San Rafael businesses through the Covid-19 recovery.
- Support the City’s cannabis program including quarterly tax collection, annual licensing renewals, new policy implementation, and staff support to the Measure G Tax Oversight Committee.
- Act as a liaison with the business community, including partnering with the San Rafael Chamber of Commerce, the Downtown Business Improvement District, Downtown San Rafael Arts District and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to deliver business support services.
- Monitor and respond to incoming business inquiries and provide support for businesses interested in starting a new business in San Rafael.
- Assist in providing social media and marketing support for the City’s Life in San Rafael branding campaign.
- Participate in supporting the General Plan 2040 Economic Vitality goals and Downtown Precise Plan.
- Principles and practices of local government.
- Methods of research, program analysis, and report preparation.
- State legislative procedures.
- Communications strategies.
- Public relations and relationship building.
- Computer skills including graphics software.
- Municipal budgeting.
- Communicate effectively.
- Effectively plan, organize, and prioritize work, establish, and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A Typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in public administration, economic development/city planning, business administration, or a related field and three years of progressively responsible analytical, administrative, or managerial experience.
The ideal candidate for this position will have at least two years of relevant experience with economic development policy and programmatic work. Government experience is desirable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Fluency in Spanish is desirable.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of geometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardizations exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid California Driver’s License.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Vision abilities required include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process.
The examination process may include any or all of the following: Application appraisal, oral board examination, and written examination. The passing point for the oral and/or written examination is 70%.
Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a background check and fingerprinting.
To file an application, go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies.” Select “City of San Rafael.” For more information on the City of San Rafael, go to www.cityofsanrafael.org. Follow this link to submit your application materials: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20092838
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at 415-485-3474 no later than seven (7) calendar days before the interview and/or test date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary for this position is $7,783 - $9,934 per month and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System). Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of their salary to the retirement plan.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan (Employee Only - $634.57; Employee + 1 - $1,269.13; Employee + Family - $1,649.88)
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid for employee and dependents.
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid for employee and dependents.
- Administrative Leave: Ten (10) days of administrative leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Sick Leave: Twelve (12) days of paid sick leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Vacation: Ten (10) days per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Other Leave: Eleven (11) City holidays and two (2) floating holidays.