Product Manager – Digital Services
$9,910 - $12,045 per month
Plus excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications Reviewed Weekly Until Position Filled
THE CITY is focused on enhancing our community members’ quality of life through well-designed services and a positive workplace culture. San Rafael is the economic and cultural heart of Marin County, and its high quality of life is centered on its commercial districts, engaged neighborhoods, active lifestyle, and natural environment. San Rafael (population 59,000) is a full-service city with a city council/city manager form of government with 12 departments, more than 400 employees, and an annual budget of $100 million. The City’s vision is to be a vibrant economic and cultural center reflective of its diversity. The City Council is engaged and seeks to strengthen the urban and commercial areas as well as sustain the beautiful natural environment.
San Rafael’s Organizational culture framework is an initiative called “Together San Rafael.” City employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is focused on modernizing City services and increasing the engagement of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of the customer and employee experience.
The City of San Rafael Digital Services & Open Government Department is recruiting for a full-time Product Manager – Digital Services. Under general supervision, this position is responsible for working directly with City departments to deliver government services that are simple, effective, and easy to use; managing the vision, roadmap and enhanced digital delivery of user-centered products to solve problems and modernize City services; researching, process mapping and analyzing data and systems to recommend product decisions; collaborating with service designers to do rapid prototyping and managing delivery of a product through implementation and its lifetime; and managing projects in coordination with cross-departmental and departmental teams. This is an exempt, mid-management level position.
The ideal candidate for this position is an empathetic product manager who cares deeply about how technology can touch people’s lives and lead to extraordinary outcomes. You will have exceptional people skills and experience shipping web products using Agile practices.
You will champion user-centered design and emphasize accessibility and usability. You will work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure they’re getting value while growing the use and adoption of digital tools and services. You will take the City’s Digital strategy to the next level and lead the roll out and adoption of new software and digital products internally and externally.
- Clear understanding of user-centered and iterative design, and the agile development process with government
- Experience re-designing complex products, services, or transactions to be more simple, beautiful, and easy to use.
- Experience driving vision, strategy, roadmap, and target outcomes for growth-stage products
- Knowledge of technical systems used to benchmark performance and produce reports, dashboards, and other methods of technical reporting
- Experience with creating user journey maps and/or service blueprints
- Experience with metrics and analytics that inform the success of products, defining KPI’s, tracking conversion funnels, and extracting insight from data
- Comfortable working with productivity tools like Asana
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in computer science, information systems, information technology, public policy, business, public-administration, or closely related field, AND
- Three (3) years of experience working as a product manager for a digital product that is in use by people today.
- One (1) year of experience serving as a lead or in a supervisory or management capacity is desirable.
- Master’s Degree is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to video displays. The employee frequently works in evenings or weekends; typically, in inside environmental conditions. The employee occasionally may travel between worksites. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: Application appraisal, oral board examination, and written examination. The passing point for the oral and/or written examination final score will be 75%. Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a background check, DMV check, pre-employment physical, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “City of San Rafael”. For more information on the City of San Rafael, go to www.cityofsanrafael.org. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20143238
To access the full Product Manager Job Description, please follow this link: https://www.cityofsanrafael.org/documents/product-manager/
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $9,910 - $12,045 per month, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees - 2% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $673.42 Employee+1 - $1,346.82 Employee+Family - $1,750.88; Waive Coverage $673.42)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $150,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $7,500 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid for employee plus dependents
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid for employee plus dependents
- Deferred Comp: Employee option
- Annual Leave: Vacation ranges from 15 to 25 days (depending on years of service), 12 days of Sick Leave, 75 hours of Administrative Leave, 11 Holidays and 2 Floating Holidays.
- And more......
A cover letter and a resume MUST be submitted with your application.