Vegetation Management Specialist
Wildfire Prevention Division – City of San Rafael Fire Department
$64,506 - $74,666 Annually
Full-time (37.5 hours per week)/Fixed-Term Position
Limited Benefits Available
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Monday, August 23, 2021 for first consideration
The City of San Rafael Fire Department is seeking to fill the position of Vegetation Management Specialist, with a focus on space and public land management aimed to reduce wildfire risk.
Fixed-term appointments may be made for up to a three-year period with the potential to extend. Continued appointment in this position is contingent upon funding and job performance. This is an “at will” position and has limited benefits available.
This position is fully funded through the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority (MPWA).
Under supervision from the Emergency Manager, the Vegetation Management Specialist will help lead San Rafael Wildfire Prevention efforts with a focus on publicly owned undeveloped land and improved parcels; work closely with the defensible space inspection team and may perform independent site evaluations of vegetation located upon privately owned premises; evaluate and develop vegetation management strategies on City or County owned open space lands that are adjacent to structures; evaluate property for compliance with the San Rafael Municipal Code relating to providing defensible space to structures and scientifically based best practices; work to establish short and long-term open space vegetation management plans and prescriptions; and work with contractors and City staff to implement strategies and projects.
This position performs the following essential job duties (including but not limited to):
- Identify, prioritize, develop and implement vegetation treatment plans for land under the City’s preview, to include but not be limited to open space, medians, and right of ways to improve wildfire safety and minimize risks.
- Coordinate wildfire mitigation through fuel reduction projects and other methods on City-managed open space in coordination with City, County, State, and private partners.
- Interpret and enforce provisions of City Ordinances, State Codes and other regulations.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of CEQA compliance documents. Direct completion of biological assessments or surveys and implement best practices as possible.
- Assist in development of scope of work for operational contracts, solicit bids and proposals, and review work of contractors or consultants.
- Perform evaluations of property, vegetation and structures to identify fire code violations, fire hazards; recommend corrective actions; perform follow-up inspections to see that corrective actions have been completed.
- Investigate complaints pertaining to violations of applicable fire codes; issue correction orders as necessary.
- Prepare accurate records and reports; maintain accurate records and files in the City electronic tracking system.
- Provide information to the public concerning the Vegetation Management Program, practices and procedures; assist in training programs and group presentations.
- Provide guidance or support to other City staff or vegetation management contractors working for the City.
- May be assigned to support other fire administration, fire operations, fire prevention, environmental management or emergency management related duties as needed.
- May provide guidance to fire mitigation and suppression crews about fire code interpretation, fuel management plans and prescriptions and site evaluation techniques.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor and within the MWPA mission.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Principles, practices, and techniques of vegetation and land management and wildfire mitigation.
- Principles and techniques of site evaluations and inspection work.
- Environmental best practices.
- CEQA compliance.
- Local and State Fire Codes.
- Accounting, budgeting, and contract methods and principles.
- Map reading, including topography and basic GIS
- Office procedures, methods and equipment including Microsoft Office and Google suites, with the specific ability to efficiently use and develop email, calendars, databases, slide decks and word processing.
- Preparing and presenting public information, teaching, and public speaking.
- English grammar, spelling, vocabulary and report writing.
To be eligible for this position you must have the ability to:
- Identify fire hazards and fire code violations and recommend corrective actions.
- Exercise judgment, suggest alternatives, and negotiate compliance strategies with property owners.
- Identify and analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals; research, analyze and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques.
- Prepare clear and concise reports; express ideas and communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Conduct field defensible space evaluation inspections in neighborhoods and navigate uneven terrain in undeveloped areas.
- Apply principles of inclusion, equity and public safety to all program areas.
- Interpret and explain wildfire behavior and mitigation best practices in an inclusive manner to all residents.
- Learn and retain local geography and resources as they relate to wildfire prevention, planning, and operations.
- Work within a team environment, be self-motivated, and complete independent tasks with minimal supervision in a timely manner.
- Apply technical knowledge and follow proper evaluation/inspection techniques.
- Read and interpret site plans and vegetation management plans.
- Learn to enforce fire codes, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to fire prevention and vegetation management with firmness and tact.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work such as property owners, contactors, the general public, and other staff.
- Express ideas and communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Deal tactfully and in a cooperative manner with property owners, the public, partners, contractors, and City staff to provide a high level of customer service.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge
and abilities are qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Two years or more of responsible experience in a variety of inspection, fire prevention or related inspection work
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade, supplemented by college-level fire science or prevention classes
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred with coursework in forestry, fire ecology, natural resource management, public management, environmental and/or climate studies, or related field.
- Certified Wildfire Mitigation Specialist (CWMS) or ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire
- ISA Certified Arborist
- Registered Professional Forester
- Bilingual English/Spanish desired
- Possession of a California Class "C" driver's license, and satisfactory driving record. Maintenance of a California driver’s license is a condition of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, feel or hold; reach with hands and arms; and talk, hear, taste, or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is required to walk off trails, up and down steep grades and inclines in heavily vegetated areas of the natural environment in all types of weather conditions. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee will be issued personal protective equipment (PPE) and is responsible for using the proper PPE in the appropriate environment. Examples of PPE may include a hardhat, hearing protection while in noisy environments, eye protection, and safety shoes.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the recruiting process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. To file an application, go to www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “City of San Rafael”. For more information about the City of San Rafael, please visit www.cityofsanrafael.org. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20148218
The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the oral board date.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary for this position is $64,506 - $74,666 Annually (DOE) and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System). Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of their salary to the retirement plan.
- Health Insurance: Receives $600 towards the cost of health insurance premiums.
- Sick Leave: Twelve (12) days of paid sick leave per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Vacation: Ten (10) days per year. Pro-rated based on hire date.
- Other Leave: Eleven (11) City holidays and two (2) floating holidays.