Librarian I: $5,598 - $6,804 per month
Librarian II: $5,880 - $7,147 per month
(.53% FTE/19.875 hours per week)
Plus excellent benefits
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Thursday, September 16, 2021 for first consideration
THE CITY is focused on enhancing our community members’ quality of life through well-designed services and a positive workplace culture. San Rafael is the economic and cultural heart of Marin County, and its high quality of life is centered on its commercial districts, engaged neighborhoods, active lifestyle, and natural environment. San Rafael (population 59,000) is a full-service city with a city council/city manager form of government with 12 departments, more than 400 employees, and an annual budget of $100 million. The City’s vision is to be a vibrant economic and cultural center reflective of its diversity. The City Council is engaged and seeks to strengthen the urban and commercial areas as well as sustain the beautiful natural environment.
San Rafael’s Organizational culture framework is an initiative called “Together San Rafael.” City employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is focused on modernizing City services and increasing the engagement of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of the customer and employee experience.
The Library and Recreation Department (Library Division) is seeking a part-time (.53% FTE/19.875 hours per week) Librarian I/II. The incumbent in this position, will perform the more difficult and varied professional work in connection with the selection and cataloging of library materials and will serve at the public service reference desk.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Maintains catalog, including specialized cataloging.
- Assists and recommends to the Supervising Librarian policies and procedures relating to library services.
- Trains and supervises staff.
- Serves as reference librarian at the public service desk.
- Utilizes print, multimedia, and on-line library information resources to provide direct reader’s advisory and reference service to library patrons.
- Assists library patrons in locating and selecting materials.
- Assists collection development by selecting, weeding and maintaining library collection.
- Prepares announcement flyers and press releases regarding library services and programs.
- Make presentations regarding services offered by the library.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, you must have knowledge of:
- Library Services and reference materials; books and authors; professional practices and techniques of library science.
- Online library systems and information resources; and principles of training and supervision.
To be eligible for this position, you must have the ability to:
- Use online resources and personal computers.
- Select books and fill needs of patrons.
- Perform reference and reader’s advisory work.
- Use and explain library resources.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Develop and promote special library programs.
- Maintain complex records and prepare reports.
- Make routine arithmetic calculations.
- Work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s in Library Science issued by a college of university accredited by the American Library Association is preferred.
- Spanish speaking preferred, but not required.
- This is the entry level position. While no experience is required, it is highly desirable.
- Three (3) years of professional library experience with two (2) years of experience in technical services, adult services, or children’s services.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, background check, driving record, drug screen, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20156745
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $5,598 - $7,147 per month, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: Participation in PARS (Public Agency Retirement System) Retirement. Employer contribution of 3.75% and employee contribution of 3.75% of monthly salary to the retirement plan.
- Health Insurance (pro-rated at .53% FTE): Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $780.93; Employee+1 - $1,477.20; Employee+Family - $1,618.71; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Premium pro-rated at .53% FTE
- Vision Insurance: Premium pro-rated at .53% FTE
- Deferred Comp: Employee optional participation
- Annual Leave (pro-rated at .53% FTE): Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service/6.25 hours earned per month); 12 days per year; 11 holidays and 2 floating holidays.
- And more......