Therapeutic Recreation Intern Opportunity
The San Ramon Parks and Community Services Department is certified through the California Board of Recreation and Park Certification, Inc. as a site qualified to accept Therapeutic Recreation Interns who are prepared to complete 600 hours of internship work.
The Intern Program
Under supervision of National and State certified Recreation Therapists, the program is designed to provide challenging work experiences in a municipal/community recreation setting while promoting an understanding of working in local government. The program is structured so that therapeutic interns will be exposed to active senior citizens, Alzheimer’s/dementia, blindness/visual impairments, deafness/hearing impairments, public school students, youth at risk, developmental disabilities, and the Department’s Inclusion program. This program will provide the following objectives:
- Opportunity to expand the student’s knowledge of the field of community therapeutic recreation;
- Opportunity to observe and practice the application of theory to real life situations;
- Learn firsthand what it means to be a professional in the therapeutic recreation field;
- Enable interns to realize their personal strengths and challenges;
- Assist interns to develop networking skills;
- Provide the opportunity to gain hands on experience in participant assessments, accommodations, documentation, program planning, and leadership functions within a community recreation setting;
- Provide a creative, collaborative and award winning environment.
Intern Selection Process Criteria
- Interns must obtain approval of their academic advisor before applying for an internship with the City of San Ramon Parks and Community Services Department;
- The intern will have had sufficient education and practical work experience to fulfill their university’s requirements for internship eligibility;
- Exhibit good interview performance;
- Have an understanding of the needs of both the intern and the department;
- Show involvement with professional and/or academic organizations;
- Provide an essay expressing goals and objectives for the internship;
- Provide at least two letters of recommendation from an academic advisor;
- Have computer experience in Microsoft Office;
- The City will not provide transportation or room and board during internship;
Prior to Start of Internship
- Must obtain certifications in both Standard First Aid and Basic CPR/AED;
- Must provide proof of a negative TB test within the last 2 years, and
- Must have appropriate clearance from background check and fingerprinting.
Interested individuals must apply online. Once the application is received, the internship coordinator will contact the individual candidate for an interview with the Recreation Coordinator, Recreation Supervisor and/or Division Manager. Onsite interviews are preferred but a telephone interview will also be accepted. If selected, all interns must be aware that they are not paid during their internship. Interns must be prepared to provide their own transportation and living expenses during the internship. Therapeutic Recreation interns must make a minimum commitment of 600 hours of internship work. A written agreement initiated by the City of San Ramon must be signed before an internship can begin.
Prior to being accepted into the program, you must provide:
- A letter of recommendation from your academic advisor
- A written essay which clearly states the goals of your internship
- At least two professional or personal verifiable references
If you have any questions, please contact Becky Adams, Recreation Supervisor at (925) 973-3273.