Are you passionate about aquatics? If so, the City of San Ramon invites you to apply to our Lifeguard positions.
Lifeguards assist in the supervision of aquatics programs. Incumbents also assist in training, staff development, scheduling, and supervising aquatic staff. A sample of duties may include but not be limited to: Assisting in staff training, Overseeing daily operations in the absence of the Recreation Supervisor, completing all logs and reports as necessary.
- Performs the tasks necessary to promote public safety at an aquatic facility by lifeguarding.
- Ensures the safety of facility patrons by preventing accidents and responding to emergencies.
- Monitors activities to prevent accidents: enforces facility rules, cautions swimmers regarding unsafe swimming activities, rescues non swimmers & administers first aid.
- Develops, organizes & instructs beginning, intermediate & advanced swimming classes for all ages.
- Inspects and maintains equipment and materials in proper working order.
- Provides customer service and enforces parks and recreation rules and regulations.
- Takes reports from the public; fills out incident reports, training logs and other forms and paperwork as required.
- Participates in in-service training sessions.
- Assists in maintaining of the aquatic facility and its programs.
- Assists program participants.
- Assists in completing all necessary records and paper work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Lifeguard I: $11.25 - $13.50
Lifeguard II: $12.00 - $14.40
Lifeguard III: $12.50 - $15.00
Lifeguard IV: $13.00 - $15.60
Knowledge and Abilities:Knowledge of:
Operational rules and protocols of assigned facility. Basic program concepts and design. Basic customer service practices. Philosophy, objectives and requirements in the implementation of municipal aquatics programs. All current safety standards and information related to aquatics.
Safely operate assigned program equipment. Swim, tread water, perform rescues involving the exertion of up to 100 pounds of force to move objects, and to perform retrieval of heavy items from 14' depth. Set up program equipment and/or activity area. Establish and maintain effective working relationships. Conduct one's self in a professional manner. Effectively communicate both orally and in writing. Receive direction and follow oral and written instructions. Handle multiple tasks. Professional work habits including reliability, dependability, creativity, and demonstration of enthusiasm for the job.
Minimum Qualifications:Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Lifeguard I: Must be a minimum of 15 years old. Previous participation as a Junior Lifeguard is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Prior exposure to working with children and the public desired.
Lifeguard II: Must be a minimum of 15 years old. At least one (1) year as a certified lifeguard or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Previous experience working with children, customer service, teaching or other skills required to teaching swim lessons.
Lifeguard III: Must be a minimum of 16 years old. At least two (2) years of experience as a certified lifeguard or one (1) year of experience including one (1) continued education certification.
Lifeguard IV: Must be a minimum of 16 years old. At least three (3) years of experience as a certified lifeguard or two (2) years of experience including one (1) continued education certification.
Licenses and Certifications
Lifeguard I, II, III and IV
- Current American Red Cross certifications or equivalent in Lifeguard Training, First Aid, CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
- Possession of Water Safety Instructor, Lifeguard Instructor or other continuing education.
Appropriate clearances from background check/fingerprinting. Documentation of a negative skin test for TB within the last two (2) years. Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Ready to join our team? Successful applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process will consist of a skills test and an interview. The skills test date is to be determined.
The City of San Ramon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex origin or disability. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, should special accommodations be necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Division at (925) 973-2508.
Information contained herein is subject to change without notice.