Are you passionate about aquatics? If so, the City of San Ramon invites you to apply to our Senior Lifeguard position.
A City of San Ramon Lifeguard provides safety, supervision, and instruction for the patrons at the San Ramon Olympic Pool & Aquatic Park and Dougherty Valley Aquatic Center. Advanced lifeguard positions provide leadership and program responsibility to the San Ramon Olympic Pool & Aquatic Park and Dougherty Valley Aquatic Center in all operations at the facility including swim lessons, recreational swim, water safety classes, aquatics summer camps, and staff development. During the busy summer season, these positions may be assigned up to a 40 hour work week, which may include evenings and weekends.
- Supervise and ensure patron safety at all times, including clearly and professionally conveying rules to patrons and enforcing facility regulations
- Perform rescues involving the exertion of up to 100 pounds of force to move objects and retrieval of heavy items from 14' of depth
- Sit and/or stand for long periods of time
- Administer first aid and provide emergency care as required
- Work outdoors in varying weather conditions and with exposure to pool chemicals
- Maintain a safe aquatic environment
- Greet the public and respond to questions and inquiries
- Assist the Swim Lesson program
- Assist with cleaning and routine maintenance of the aquatic park, including locker rooms, guard office, and pool surfaces
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor by wearing appropriate uniform or attire for the position and exhibiting respect and enthusiasm
- Display the ability to swim and tread water; Keep records and reports
- Facilitate program activities according to a prepared curriculum
- Provide feedback regarding the City's aquatic program and activity schedules to the participants or supervisors
- Conduct proper opening and closing procedures of the aquatic facilities
- Assist in staff trainings and meetings
- Analyze program needs and recommend new and innovative program ideas
- Set up proper furniture arrangements, equipment, and facility maintenance
- Work as a Lead with Lifeguards and Swim Instructors and offering assistance in maintaining the proper execution of all aspects of facility rentals and programs
- Ensure all policies of the City of San Ramon are followed during all programs, special events and facility use
- Provide excellent customer service and problem solving
- Perform functions of registration software applications
- Prepare daily deposits and reconcile daily reports
- Ensure all revenues received at assigned sites are properly entered and accounted for
- Lead staff during facility rentals and Lap Swim
- Assist the Pool Manager with Recreation Swim, and the Junior Lifeguard and Star Guard camps
Knowledge and Abilities:Knowledge of:
Operational rules and protocols of assigned facility. Basic program concepts and design. Basic customer service practices. Philosophy, objectives and requirements in the implementation of municipal aquatics programs. All current safety standards and information related to aquatics.
Safely operate assigned program equipment. Swim, tread water, perform rescues involving the exertion of up to 100 pounds of force to move objects, and to perform retrieval of heavy items from 14' depth. Set up program equipment and/or activity area. Establish and maintain effective working relationships. Conduct one's self in a professional manner. Effectively communicate both orally and in writing. Receive direction and follow oral and written instructions. Handle multiple tasks. Professional work habits including reliability, dependability, creativity, and demonstration of enthusiasm for the job.
- Must be at least 17 years old by time of hire
- At least two or more years of experience or equivalent working in aquatics
- Possession of at least one instructor level certification in Lifeguarding, Water Safety, or other related areas
- Previous experience as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor is preferred
- Current American Red Cross certifications or the equivalent Lifeguard Training and First Aid, CPR/AED for Lifeguards
Appropriate clearances from background check/fingerprinting. Documentation of a negative skin test for TB within the last two (2) years. Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Ready to join our team? Successful applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process will consist of a skills test and an interview. The skills test date is to be determined.
The City of San Ramon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex origin or disability. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, should special accommodations be necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Division at (925) 973-2508.
Information contained herein is subject to change without notice.