Under general direction to plan, develop, and implement assigned city wide recreation programs of average difficulty involving supervision of support staff and to perform other related work as required.
Incumbents in this position have considerable independence in selection work methods of procedures. Instructions given by the Recreation Supervisor generally do not provide all of the information needed to complete the assignment. The JR Giants Co-Commissioner is expected to resolve most problems confronted through the application of judgment and precedent, referring only those which involve the establishment of new procedures or which involve solutions that are inconsistent with departmental procedures and policies to the Recreation Supervisor.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
A junior Giants Co-Commissioner is responsible for the complete organization of the league in his or her area. Organizing a league includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Act as the liaison to the Giants Community Fund.
- Communicate regularly with Community fund staff on the league’s activities.
- Locally oversee the league’s Ambassador and assign him/her appropriate responsibilities.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES CONTINUED:
- Secure baseball fields for practices and games.
- Recruit players, coaches, and team parents.
- Register players, coaches, and team parents through siplay.com and ensure they complete the waiver.
- Verify all coaches have passed background checks through the agency and siplay.com prior to coaching.
- Administer ID badges to helpers who have completed their background checks, and ensure that badges are worn at all times when helpers are with Junior Giants.
- Coordinate new coaches to attend a Coaches Clinic.
- Hold a mandatory first Pitch Meeting to orient players and parents in Junior Giants league philosophy and programs.
- Address staffing issues.
- Create practice and game schedules.
- Distribute equipment and uniforms.
- Coordinate and encourage participation in the Character Development, Education, Health and Bulling Prevention programs.
- Distribute Junior Giants day/night tickets.
- Collect and take inventory of equipment and uniforms.
- Evaluate the season through an online end-of-season survey and meeting with the Community Fund staff in-person at AT&T Park between October and March.
- Enforce rules and policies as it pertains to the Jr. Giants program.
- Methods and techniques of developing and organizing group recreation and social activities.
- Rules, practices and equipment used in specialized recreation activities.
- Basic math.
- Basic principles of supervision and training.
- English usage, spelling and grammar.
- Record-keeping procedures.
- Public relations techniques.
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of baseball rules.
- Coordinate events, meetings, and practices for the JR Giants.
- Speak effectively before large groups of people.
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Use computer and input large amount of data.
Any combination of training, education, and experience which demonstrates an ability to perform the duties of the position.
- TUBERCULOSIS TESTING: Candidates selected to work in a position requiring contact with children must submit a certificate or notice documenting that within the last two years they have been examined and found to be free of communicable tuberculosis. The certificate or notice must be signed by a licensed examining physician or public health agency.
- CONCUSSION TRAINING: Candidates selected to work in a youth sports position are required to annually complete concussion training as required by CA AB2007. Free training and certification is available online at:
- Possession of a valid Class C California driver’s license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles and a responsible driving record.
- CPR certified.
Applications are available at City Hall, 1700 7th Street, Sanger, CA 93657 or on the City’s web site at www.ci.sanger.ca.us. Applications must be complete and received prior to the filing deadline. POSTMARKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. All statements made on the application are subject to verification; false statements will be cause for disqualification or discharge.