Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor; instructs, supervises and assists in the training of boxing skills to youth ages 8-17 and adults; prepares instructional plans, performs a variety of record keeping as assigned; plans and implements boxing activities such as instruction, sparing, and special events. All job duties performed under this classification will take place in an instructional or gym setting.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assist in the planning, organization, and implementation of daily and weekly activities/instruction.
- Supervise and lead daily activities/instruction.
- Assist in the inspection of boxing equipment including, but not limited to the boxing ring, punching bags, and other equipment.
- Encourage involvement in activities by all participants.
- Ensure that all activities are conducted in a safe and responsible manner for all ages.
- Maintain inventory and equipment on a daily basis.
- Assist participants in the building of self-esteem and development of a value system.
- Assist participants by providing proper examples, emotional support, friendly attitude and general guidance.
- Serve as the City liaison/representative to the Central California Boxing Association.
- Monitor facility and guests for violations of rules and safety standards.
- Attend special events such as Farmers Market, National Night Out, Tour de Fresno, and Jensen Avenue Clean Up.
- Promote boxing gym programs, events and activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic child guidance principles and practices.
- Fundamental skills of boxing techniques for youth and adults.
- Effectively supervise or coach youth programs.
- Communicate effectively with children and adults.
- Plan and lead activities for youth in an instructional setting.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Effectively use emergency techniques for standard first aid.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with the public and the Community.
- Provide effective and courteous customer service.
- At least 18 years old.
- Completion of the twelfth grade or equivalent.
- Possess a minimum of 3-years of experience in the area of amateur or instructional boxing.
- Currently hold or ability to obtain USA Boxing Coach Certification.
- Must possess a valid First Aid certificate prior to start of the program.
TUBERCULOSIS TESTING: Candidates selected to work in a position requiring contact with children must submit a certificate or notice documenting that within the last two years they have been examined and found to be free of communicable tuberculosis. The certificate or notice must be signed by a licensed examining physician or public health agency.
CONCUSSION TRAINING: Candidates selected to work in a position requiring contact with children are required to annually complete concussion training as required by CA AB2007. Free training and certification is available online at:
Work indoors and outdoors at the City Boxing Gym and various venues; perform moderate physical work; janitorial work; lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Work overtime, variable shifts, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Applications received by the filing date will be reviewed for accuracy, completeness and job-related qualifications. A limited number of persons whose applications clearly demonstrate they most closely meet the requirements may be invited to participate in the selection process - which may be any combination of written, oral and/or performance exams. Before starting work, applicants must present documentation of their identity and authorization to work in the United States.
Applications are available at City Hall, 1700 7th Street, Sanger, CA 93657 or on the City’s web site at www.ci.sanger.ca.us. Applications must be complete and received prior to the filing deadline. POSTMARKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. All statements made on the application are subject to verification; false statements will be cause for disqualification or discharge.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WOMEN, MINORITIES & HANDICAPPED INDIVIDUALS ARE
ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the City of Sanger Personnel Department.