Under general supervision, is responsible for the safety of swimmers; enforcement of regulations, pool maintenance and swimming instruction at a municipally-operated swimming pool.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Provide swim instruction.
- Conduct rescue operations.
- Conduct classes in various phases of swimming.
- Administer CPR and First Aid.
- Direct communication and contact with swimmers and the general public.
- Maintain discipline in and around swimming pool.
- Attend in-service training sessions and other meetings as required.
- Be alert for hazardous situations when guarding your area and report violations to the Pool Manager.
- Ensure that all pool patrons obey the facility rules.
- Ensure that all activities are conducted in a safe and healthful manner.
- Prepare the pool for aquatic programs.
- Clean and disinfect the pool, decks, showers, locker rooms and aquatic equipment.
- Assist in the inspection of the facility, equipment and supplies.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the facility.
- Ensure any play and work areas are clean and free of all safety hazards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Basic child guidance principles and practices.
- Leadership techniques.
- General techniques of the various swim strokes.
- Effective supervision of youth activities and programs.
- Oral and written communications skills.
- Communicate effectively with children and adults.
- Plan and carry out assigned activities.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Be active, lift and/or carry equipment and supplies.
- Work in a leadership role with children and adults.
- Work harmoniously with fellow employees and the general public.
Note: This position is a seasonal summer position. Work schedule will be flexible but may include weekends, evenings, and/or early mornings.
Education: Completion of 10th grade.
Minimum Age: 16 years
Certification: Prior to start of program employee must possess a valid:
- CPR Certificate
- First Aid Certificate issued by the American Red Cross or similar agency.
- American Red Cross Life Guarding Certificate, YMCA Life Guarding Certificate or other nationally recognized lifeguarding certification.
TUBERCULOSIS TESTING: Candidates selected to work in a position requiring contact with children must submit a certificate or notice documenting that within the last two years they have been examined and found to be free of communicable tuberculosis. The certificate or notice must be signed by a licensed examining physician or public health agency.
CONCUSSION TRAINING: Candidates selected to work in a position requiring contact with children are required to annually complete concussion training as required by CA AB2007. Free training and certification is available online at:
Applications received by the filing date will be reviewed for accuracy, completeness and job-related qualifications. A limited number of persons whose applications clearly demonstrate they most closely meet the requirements may be invited to participate in the selection process - which may be any combination of written, oral and/or performance exams. Before starting work, applicants must present documentation of their identity and authorization to work in the United States.
Applications are available at City Hall, 1700 7th Street, Sanger, CA 93657 or on the City’s web site at www.ci.sanger.ca.us. Applications must be complete and received prior to the filing deadline. POSTMARKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. All statements made on the application are subject to verification; false statements will be cause for disqualification or discharge.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WOMEN, MINORITIES & HANDICAPPED INDIVIDUALS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. Questions regarding this announcement may be directed to the City of Sanger Personnel Department.