The City of Sausalito seeks a highly-motivated person who, under direction of the Community Development Director, administers specified planning activities including current planning, zoning and subdivision ordinance, advanced planning and the General Plan; complex professional planning activities, such as serving as project manager for complex development and land use applications. This is a lead position in the Community Development Department and will participate in advanced, multi-department initiatives. The Senior Planner also:
- Reviews applications for residential, commercial and other land use development; evaluates alternatives and conformance with City policies, ordinances, the General Plan and state and federal laws; prepares and presents staff reports to the Planning Commission and City Council regarding such applications;
- Serves as project manager for complex planning projects, including analyzing and evaluating site and architectural plans, performing technical review for project plans and applications and making recommendations;
- Manages consultant contacts including determining scope of work and budgets, tracking budgets and approving contract payments;
- Updates and creates long-range planning documents such as the City’s General Plan and other assigned plans; prepares modifications to specific General Plan elements;
- Serves as staff liaison for review boards, ad-hoc committees and elected officials, including providing technical advice and giving presentations;
- Confers with and provides information to property owners, contractors, developers, engineers architects and the public regarding conformance to standards, plans specifications and codes; explains codes, requirements and procedures and evaluates alternatives;
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service;
- Ability to deal with the public under stressful circumstances in a fair, calm and understanding way to obtain positive results;
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Retirement: The City is a part of the CalPERS retirement plan and does not contribute to Social Security
- Classic employees – 2% @55 formula, highest 3 year average compensation
- PEPRA employees – hired after 1/1/13 or Classic employee with 6 month break in service are eligible for a 2% @ 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation
Cafeteria Benefit Plan: The City offers a healthy cafeteria benefit program including choices among plan options for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, and PERS long-term care insurance.
Leave: Employees earn 120 hours of vacation and 96 hours of sick leave per year
Union Membership: This position is non-exempt and is part of the Service Employees’ International Union group (SEIU)