The City of Seal Beach is recruiting Volunteer Reserve Police Officers. The Reserve Police Officer performs responsible part-time work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances, crime prevention and investigation. The Reserve Police Officer is appointed by and serves at the will of the Chief of Police.
- Knowledge of laws, policies covering modern methods of police work.
- Ability to establish working relationships with fellow employees, City officials and the public.
- Education: Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Experience & Training: Graduation from a P.O.S.T. approved academy (Level I - Reserve), or graduation from a P.O.S.T. approved Basic academy.
- License: Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Physical Requirements: Must be in good physical condition, weight in proportion to height; vision correctable to at least 20/30, free from color blindness; normal hearing acuity.
- United States citizen or resident alien and have applied for U.S. citizenship at least one year prior to the application of employment.
A Seal Beach Police Officer patrols the community based upon our Mission Statement, “The mission of the Seal Beach Police Department is to drive down crime and improve the quality of life for the residents and visitors of Seal Beach.” Our officers actively survey the city for trends to assist in the prevention of crime and the enforcement of law and order. Duties include: receives instructions regarding problems and assignments during an assigned shift; patrols the streets to observe evidence of violations of law or conditions conducive to illegal activities or traffic accidents; reports hazards; renders first aid and emergency medical attention; issues citations or warnings; directs pedestrian and motor traffic; investigates crimes and violations reported; locates, gathers and preserves evidence and performs related duties as assigned.
Please visit www.CalOpps.org to submit your application on-line. However, if you are unable to complete your application on-line a printable version of our employment application may be downloaded from our website at www.sealbeachca.gov. Applications can also be obtained from the Human Resources Department, Seal Beach City Hall, 211 8th Street, Seal Beach, California 90740 or by calling (562) 431-2527 x1301. Faxes, emails or postmarks will not be accepted.
Proof of Academy graduation or enrollment in Academy and POST certificate (if applicable) must be attached to the application. Appointment is subject to any or all of the following: pre-employment medical examination, including substance abuse screening, psychological evaluation, polygraph and fingerprint processes, and background investigation. If selected, incumbent will be required to submit written identification proving eligibility to work in the United States. The testing process may consist of a video/report writing exam, physical agility exam, and a panel interview.
Any qualified individual with a disability must provide reasonable notice to the City prior to the testing process that reasonable accommodation is required.
*The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, express or implied and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.