Join the City of Simi Valley Human Resources team in this key position! The Sr. HR Analyst is a hands-on working manager who performs a variety of complex advanced journey-level professional duties. This position will primarily focus on administering benefits/retirement plans (medical, dental, vision, CalPERS retirement, etc.) for City employees/retirees and their dependents. In addition, this position will be responsible for all payroll system changes related to HR such as salary changes, benefits changes, and position changes.
Examples of duties include: counseling employees/retirees on benefits and retirement plan, monitoring legislation related to HR and taking actions to ensure compliance, creating/approving/auditing payroll transactions following required deadlines, leading agency-wide open enrollment process, managing annual open enrollment process, being an integral part of the implementation of a new HRIS system and Employee Self Service, and more!
The City of Simi Valley is comprised of approximately 500 regular employees within the following departments: City Manager’s Office, City Attorney’s Office, Administrative Services, Community Services, Environmental Services, Public Works, and Police. The Human Resources Division (HR, Risk Management, Workers’ Compensation) is included in the City Manager’s Office and is staffed by twelve full-time and two part-time employees. The Senior HR Analyst reports directly to the Deputy Human Resources Director who heads the division, and reports to the City Manager.
Qualifications: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in human resources, public administration, business administration, organizational development, or a related field.
- Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible human resource management experience, including two years of supervisory experience preferably in the public sector. Experience working with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System is highly desirable.
Please view the complete job description below.
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Strong Human Resources generalist background
- Experience working for a public agency in a similar role
- Background administering retirement, benefits, and payroll
- Ability to work additional hours beyond regular schedule as needed
- HR certification (SPHR, PHR, IPMA)
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to handle constant interruptions
- Attention to detail and ability to meet strict deadlines
City of Simi Valley - Employee Benefits
The City of Simi Valley is committed to offering comprehensive benefits to employees and their families. Our benefit programs cover four key areas:
Health & Wellness
- Coverage Start: Health, Dental and Vision coverage beginning the 1st of the month following hire date (with available option to extend health start date to the 1st day of the second month following hire date)
- Simi Flex Dollars: Generous City contribution to be used for medical, dental, vision and other elections
- Health Plan: Choice of multiple PPO and HMO options from Anthem, Blue Shield, Health Net, Unitedhealthcare and Kaiser
- Prescription Drug Plan: Major retail options and mail order program
- Dental Plan: Choice of PPO or HMO from Delta Dental
- Vision Care: Provided by VSP for exams and eye wear
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Confidential counseling and referral service to help employees and their household members resolve personal problems, provided by MHN
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Reimbursement accounts that allow you to save taxes on eligible health care and dependent day care expenses
- Optional Insurance from AFLAC: Available plans include accident, cancer, hospital and critical care.
- Long & Short Term Disability: Coverage to protect you and your family from loss of income due to illness or injury
- Annual Leave: Vacation & sick leave combined into one account. The number of hours accrued varies by years of service from 204.88 hours per year to 251.68 hours per year.
- Paid Holidays: 11 paid holidays per year
- Annual Leave Cash Out: Employees can cash out accrued annual leave
- Alternative Work Schedules: Many positions offer a 9/80 schedule with alternative Monday or Friday off or 4/10 schedule
- Employee Discount Program: Employees can receive discounts at various amusement parks and attractions
- Trip Reduction Program: Two paid days off (8 hours each) when carpooling, using electric vehicles, or utilizing other methods when commuting to work
- Parking: All city work locations offer convenient free parking onsite
Learning & Growth
- Tuition reimbursement: Reimbursement for tuition and textbooks
- Training & Development: The city offers training opportunities throughout the year both onsite and locally
- Annual performance evaluations and opportunities for merit increases for satisfactory performance
- Defined Benefit / Pension Plan: Retirement benefits calculated based on employee’s years of service, age at retirement and final compensation (average salary over a specified period of employment)
- Deferred Compensation: 457 and/or 401k available with immediately vested City match and/or contribution
- Basic Life Insurance for employees and their dependents: provided at no cost; option to purchase additional life insurance at our group rate is available
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D): insurance in the event of certain serious injuries or death due to an accident.
- Retirement Health Saving Plan: To help offset the cost of health insurance during retirement
- Credit union membership: available through Ventura County Credit Union (VCCU)
*For more information on the benefits offered to the Management group, please visit: www.simivalley.org/compensation
This information is intended to give an overview of the benefits available to City employees. It is not intended to be a contract (expressed or implied), nor is it intended to otherwise create any legally enforceable obligations on the part of the City, its agents or its employees.
First Review Date: This recruitment is open until filled and may close at any time. The first review of applications will occur on April 5, 2018.
Selection Process: Candidates who possess the best combination of qualifications will be invited to the first step in the selection process. The selection process may include a combination of written, oral or practical tests. Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must submit form DD214.
Reasonable Accommodation: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance in the selection process, please notify the Human Resources Division, in writing.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
ENCOURAGING WORKFORCE DIVERSITY
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract, and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked at any time.