Join our team!
Do you have an interest in the mechanical repair and preventative maintenance of industrial equipment? Do you like working in an outdoor environment? Are you interested in a challenging career in an industry that protects public health and the environment? If so, we are looking for individuals that have experience, related skills, mechanical ability, and/or the ability to learn new skills required to troubleshoot, install, and repair industrial equipment in a wastewater processing environment.
- Full-time regular position, alternative 9/80 work schedule with Monday or Friday off
- Salary range $29.24 - $37.30 hourly with Excellent Benefits (see below)
- This position will receive a four percent (4%) cost of living increase effective April 2024. The new salary range effective April 2024, will be $30.40 - $38.79 hourly
- To view full job description, click on the link:
Minimum Qualifications for consideration: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by specialized training in the mechanic trades or a related field.
Experience: One year of experience in the maintenance and repair of wastewater or water treatment plant equipment is desirable.
The Ideal candidate shall have a minimum of one or more years of experience as a mechanic in the wastewater or water treatment industry, other process-related mechanical experience, or other mechanical skills and experience that can be related to equipment maintenance and repair.
- Mechanical working knowledge of internal combustion motors, diesel motors, electrically and fuel-driven pumps, hydraulic equipment, gear reducers, pneumatic equipment, and basic electrical concepts.
- Experience performing preventative routine maintenance procedures, disassembly, repair, parts and bearing replacement, and rebuilding of mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment.
- Experience with power tools along with machineries such as band saws, grinders, and drill presses.
- Skills and abilities to take accurate measurements using a tape measure, calipers, micrometers, meters, and gauges.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations from basic mathematics through algebraic equations.
- Basic skills and ability to use a PC computer along with related software such as e-mail, Microsoft Office, and maintenance management software.
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team with self-motivation and a positive attitude towards teamwork.
We are proud to offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package in which medical is fully paid for most plans (including family coverage) as specified in the current employee group contract, a full calendar of employee appreciation events and activities, and many additional benefits including:
- 2% @ 55 CalPERS formula for Classic members (includes Individuals who were active members of a reciprocal public retirement system within the last six months, or were previously employed with the City of Simi Valley and enrolled in CalPERS prior to January 1, 2013), 4th Level Survivor Benefit, and single-highest year final compensation.
- 2% @ 62 CalPERS formula for New members, 4th Level Survivor Benefit, and three-year average highest final compensation.
- 457(b) plan; City contribution of $20 per paycheck and match up to $50 per paycheck.
- The City does not participate in the Social Security system; therefore, there is no FICA deduction from wages except for Medicare hospital insurance protection.
- Health Insurance: Coverage available as early as 1st of the month following start date. A variety of PPO and HMO plans are available through the CalPERS Health Program. After the City contribution of $151 per month and up to $2,126.52 per month in “Simiflex Dollars,” Health insurance costs the employee $0 to $397.74 per month for family coverage depending on plan chosen. “Simiflex Dollars” can be used to offset the cost of medical, dental, and/or vision insurance, or other optional benefits. Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts are also available.
- Prescription Drug Plan: Major retail options and mail order program.
- Dental Insurance: After the City contribution of up to $90.02 per month, Dental insurance from Delta Dental costs the employee $0 per month for family coverage depending on plan chosen.
- Vision Insurance: After the City contribution of $21.00 per month, Vision insurance from VSP costs the employee $1.46 per month for family coverage.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Confidential counseling and referral service to help employees and their household members resolve personal problems, provided by MHN.
- Optional Insurance from AFLAC: Available plans include accident, cancer, hospital and critical care.
- Paid Leave:
- 208 hours per year of paid time off (one bank of time that combines vacation and sick leave) which has the option to be cashed out. Accruals increase at 5 years and 10 years of service.
- 11 paid holidays per year and one floating holiday per year.
- Employee & Dependent Life Insurance Plans provided at City expense.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Up to $1,600 per year.
- Alternative Work Schedules: Many positions offer a 9/80 schedule with alternative Monday or Friday off.
This information is intended to give an overview of the benefits available to City employees. It is not intended to be a contract (expressed or implied), nor is it intended to otherwise create any legally enforceable obligations on the part of the City, its agents or its employees.
Ready to apply?
Click apply and attach a current resume! You only need to complete the boxes on the application marked with a star/asterisk (*). The most qualified candidates will be invited to the next steps in our hiring process.
This recruitment is open until filled or when 50 applications are received; the first review of applications will occur on 05/26/2023 Apply online at www.SimiValley.org/careers
Selection Process: Candidates who possess the best combination of qualifications will be invited by e-mail to the next steps in our process.
Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must submit form DD214.
Reasonable Accommodation: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need special assistance in the selection process, please notify the Human Resources Division, in writing.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ENCOURAGING WORKFORCE DIVERSITY