The City of South San Francisco is now accepting applications for the position of Part-time, Temporary Public Works Maintenance Worker
THIS IS A NON-BENEFITED, TEMPORARY PART-TIME POSITION.
Application Deadline: This recruitment is ongoing and may close at any time when a sufficient number of qualified applications are received.
The City of South San Francisco is a fully independent and highly commercialized full-service City with an estimated population of 65,710 growing to 100,000 during business hours. City departments include: Police, Fire; Parks and Recreation, Public Works, Economic and Community Development, City Attorney, Library, Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, City Clerk, and Office of the City Manager. The City has a Council-City Manager form of government with more than 400 full-and part-time employees.
The Public Works Maintenance Worker performs unskilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance and construction of streets, sewers, storm drains, and related public works installations under close to general supervision.
IMPORTANT ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Basic techniques, tools, equipment, and materials used in public works maintenance, construction, and repair work.
- Uses a variety of hand and power tools in connection with the above duties; operates light, motorized equipment, such as pick-ups, flatbeds, and dump trucks safely.
- Effectively and safely perform a wide variety of semi-skilled and unskilled tasks in the maintenance, construction, and repair of City public works installations.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Work effectively with other staff and with the public.
- Perform heavy physical and manual labor.
- May work independently in such areas as street cleaning and debris collection.
- Assists in the general cleaning and maintenance of the Corporation Yard.
- Work in a safe manner, following City safety practices and procedures.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from high school.
Experience: At least one year of experience in general construction and maintenance work.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, crawl, twist, and climb.
- Lift and carry 75 pounds.
- Dexterity to drive trucks and large vehicles.
- Distinguish various computer generated auditory signals.
- Use common hand tools.
- Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen.
- Hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
- Work in a shop and field setting.
- Exposure to inclement weather, cold, heat, noise, outdoors, dust, dirt, vibration, chemicals, traffic, traffic hazards, confining workspace, mechanical hazards, electrical hazards, and explosive hazards.
- To travel to different sites and locations.
- Drive safely to different sites and locations.
- Maintain a safe driving record.
- Maintain a clean and neat appearance.
- Work protracted and irregular hours.
- Available for unusual hours in emergencies.
No benefits provided.
A completed employment application must be submitted in order to be considered for this employment opportunity. A resume may be attached but does not substitute for a completed application - do not put "see resume" on application, otherwise it will be considered incomplete and will not be considered further.
Deadline: Open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as posting can close at any time.
This general announcement is subject to change. It does not constitute an express or implied contract.