The City of St. Helena is looking for an energetic, results driven Assistant Public Works Director. The successful candidate will be a team player with skill in building relationships, project management, innovative, a self starter, and not afraid of a challenge. This is a tremendous growth opportunity for a seasoned Senior Civil Engineer seeking a full range of civil engineering experience at a full-service municipality with a $53.8M Capital Improvement Program.
This is an exciting career opportunity for an exceptional individual desiring to progress in their career in public service and to make a lasting impact on the St. Helena community. The City seeks an experienced professional who will be a team-oriented leader, committed to innovative problem-solving, and who possesses the following traits and characteristics:
- A “team player” with exceptional people skills who is committed to developing cooperative working relationships.
- A personable, open and flexible individual with good communications skills who can quickly earn the respect and trust of the executive management team, other staff and community residents.
- A professional with the ability to take complex engineering and environmental information and successfully communicate with non-technical individuals. Has well developed oral and written communication skills
The Assistant Public Works Director reports to the Public Works Director/City Engineer and is responsible for establishing, interpreting and carrying out overall departmental policies. This position functions as the chief assistant and is responsible for program supervision and coordination; differs from Supervisor, Manager, or Chief positions in that those position are responsible for only a major component, program or division within the Department (water treatment, production, and distribution, wastewater treatment, sewer collection, parks, streets and building maintenance sections.) This classification is distinguished from the next higher classification of Public Works Director/City Engineer in that the latter is responsible for the overall management of the Public Works Department and reports to the City Manager.
Under general direction assists in planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities and operations of the Public Works Department; serves as Public Works Director in their absence; directs, manages, supervises and coordinates assigned activities and operations of the Public Works Department including water treatment, production, and distribution, wastewater treatment, sewer collection, and streets and building maintenance; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Public Works Director/City Engineer.
Oversee and participate in the management of a comprehensive public works maintenance and operations division including water treatment, production and distribution, wastewater treatment, sewer collection, parks, streets and building maintenance
KAS (Knowledge, Ability and Skills):
See Job Description posted on the Human Resources Department website at:
- $115,357—$140,217 annually ($121,125—$147,228 effective 07.01.2021)
- CalPERS defined benefit retirement: 2.0% at 60 formula for current members; 2.0% at 62 for new members. Employee (EE) is responsible for payment of the EE share of the pension cost. City employees also participate in the Social Security system
- City-paid health, dental and vision insurance coverage for employee and dependents
- Vacation accrues at varying rates for full-time employees. The beginning accrual rate is generally ten working days per year, increasing with tenure
- Twelve holidays annually
- Two personal convenience days per year (increases to five day after five years)
- 40 hours Executive Leave
- Sick leave (twelve days per year)
- $50,000 Life Insurance
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Dependent Care program
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- Employee Assistance program
- Bereavement Pay - 3 days in state/5 days out of state
- Bilingual Pay (2.5% written, 2.5% verbal)
To apply for this challenging career opportunity, please through Calopps:
Be prepared to upload a cover letter and resume.
THE CITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER