Distinguishing Characteristics: The Sports Assistant is a limited part-time, non-benefitted position within the Parks and Recreation Department for the City of St Helena. The position requires weekend and evening availability as the Sports Assistant is required to attend a variety of sporting events after-school and on weekends. The Sports Assistant is assigned to assist the Recreation Supervisor (and his/her designee) with a variety of specialized recreation programs, activities, and special events, including youth sports and activities, adult sports and activities, and youth and family services. The Sports Assistant is expected to have specialized knowledge and experience in youth and/or adult sports.
Examples of Duties: (include but are not limited to the following)
- Provides supervision to part-time Recreation staff including: Youth Sports Referees, Contract Referees, and Youth Sports Coaches.
- Support and assist volunteer coaches and Youth Sports Coaches with practice curriculum, equipment, facility access, and team management.
- Assist in promoting Recreation programs and activities through social media, flyer distribution, school visits, and word of mouth.
- Prepares equipment, fields, gyms, and facilities for assigned activities which may include but not limited to: lining soccer fields, moving goals, retracting bleachers in gyms, move equipment amongst facilities, drag softball field, line softball field, assist at Bocce Courts.
- Protects City facilities and leased facilities by unlocking and locking for programs and keeping the facility clean and safe from hazards.
- Assists with registering participants in programs and taking payment for programs.
- Provides assistance to patrons and the general public; answers questions regarding facility usage and program, activity, and event specifics; responds to requests for human services needs and refers patrons to appropriate resources
- Alongside the Recreation Supervisor, evaluates assigned programs, activities, and special events; makes recommendations for improvements and new programs and services
- Assists in the creation and organization of teams/leagues.
- Assists in recruiting Youth Sports Referees and Youth Sports Coaches; steps in as Youth Sports Coach and Youth Sports Referee as needed.
- Updates standings/records for a variety of sports programs, which may often require he/she is the scorekeeper at the sporting event.
- Enters data and participant information into registration software and Microsoft programs for organization.
- Assists with equipment inventory and management.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be a High School Senior or older with (2) years experience with sports to include participation in sports, coaching sports, or refereeing sports.
- Must have knowledge of sport safety and risks associated with sports activities.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations for a variety of sports.
- First aid and CPR training preferred.
- Provide excellent customer service to both youth and adult participants and spectators
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Prepare and maintain accurate and precise written records, forms, and correspondence
- Evaluate situations, identify problems, and exercise sound independent judgment within established guidelines
- Maintain professionalism and composure at all times, including stressful and difficult situations and handle disputes and complaints in a calm, courteous, and tactful manner
- Effectively handle multiple priorities and organize workload
- Work independently and efficiently with a minimum amount of direct supervision
- Operate computer and applicable software
- Ability to be on your feet for long periods of time
Licenses and/or Certificates:
Possession of a valid Class C California driver's license and an acceptable driving record. Valid First Aid and CPR certificates are required within six (6) months of employment.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Two years of responsible experience involving the delivery of recreation or sports activities.
- Position requires prolonged sitting, walking, kneeling, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The need to lift, drag, and push tools and equipment up to 25 pounds.
- Weekend and evening work is required.